• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Spring Turkey Tune-up

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jethro224

Reaction score
It's almost time for you turkeys to go out huntin' spring gobblers, so I thought we'd do a turkey shoot. I'll even let you use a bit more shot this time.

Take your favorite traditional smoothbore muzzleloader and load it up with a 1 1/4-ounce (90 grain measure) load of #6 lead shot. (a 90 grain measure of steel or bismuth shot may be used if required by law)

You may use any other load components you wish (except more shot ).

There will be separate categories for cylinder bore and choked guns.

Write "Choked" or "Cyl" on your target according to which category your gun fits.

The target is this free down-loadable turkey target printed on a standard 8.5 x 11" sheet of printer paper. http://www.guncustomizing.com/targprt.htm (Thanks Roundball :hatsoff: )

Distance is 25 yards.

Shots are to be taken off-hand.

One shot per entry.

One entry per category (cyl/choked), per member.

Number of pellet hits on the brain and neck bones determines the winner.

Shots that are "slugged", where all the pellets remain in a bundle, will be counted as one hole.

Targets that have been mutilated will be disqualified.

All Muzzleloadingforum members are eligible to participate.

Members screen name must be written on their target.

Multiple targets may be submitted in the same envelope to save postage if more than one member shoots in the same group.

Targets must be postmarked by April 1, 2010 to be eligible.

Targets received after April 10, 2010 will be disqualified.

Targets will not be returned unless an S.A.S.E. is included.

Good luck, have fun, and be safe! :hatsoff:

Mail entries to;
Jim Green
P.O. Box 22
Pekin, IL 61555-0022

Last edited by a moderator:
Sounds like fun. Hope I get my smoothbore in time. Still wanna shoot the post. Where do the ideas come from :idunno:

Great ider Jethro I'm gonna have ta wade through some serious
snow here but it'l be fun. :surrender:
Dusty :wink:

I’m up for this one. This will give me a chance to test some load changes that I want to do before the KY season comes in. It’ll have to wait until the end of the month though. Headed south to talk to some Alabama gobblers.

Jim:
I am having a little trouble determining scale for printing the targets. The scale varies depending on which computer / printer combination I use - seems to be adjusting scale for different border sizes.

Is it your intent that the targets be scaled so that the cropped target fills the full 8 1/2 x 11 sheet or is there to be a border?

How big is the orange dot in the centre on the official target?

Thanks..........jbrent

:hmm: I never thought of that. I just printed one and the orange center dot measures 4 1/8". I just clicked the link, file, print. I hope that fits what everyone else's printer printed.

After some thought on the printing size I have come up with this;

Rule Change

The official size target will have a 4 1/8" center dot. If your printer does not print that size, do not despair, just go ahead and use what you have. I will overlay a target of the official size for scoring purposes.
In addition, if you can't print a target, for whatever reason, you may use a blank sheet of standard 8.5 x 11" printer paper. Again, I will overlay the official target for scoring purposes.

Thanks, jbrent, for bringing this to my attention. :hatsoff:

Jethro will this work?--Started ringing out my Coleran Turkey choke 62 cal barrels today...1" Oct 37" long on a T/C Renegade.Ran out of time to shoot the 34" barrel.

Black dot 5" Both targets shot this afternoon.
this is not an entry
105_0301.jpg

Sure does look like that'll work. Nice pattern. :thumbsup:

You can use one of those targets if you want, as long as it's 8.5 x 11". I'll do the overlay thing with the real target.

Thanks Jethro--Had to put a rear sight on these barrels 15-18"pattern at 25 yards.I will not be entering in the Turkey shoot with these barrels will be used for hunting only!...Just don't think it's fair.

Dan,

There are separate categories for choked and cylinder guns. It's all fair. Last time I think we only had one choked gun entry. Send 'em in. :thumbsup:

Jethro.. rule states 90 gr.Volume max load --these barrel pattern best at 100 gr. volume load....Might enter my New Englander flint.

Boy, y'all made this one easy on me. 3 targets total.:shake:

Results

Choked gun winner Wildshot with 10 hits to the bones and NO competition!

And the win for the cylinder bore guns also goes to Wildshot with a score of 6 hits to bone. At least there was some stiff competition in this category.
grzrob takes second place with a score of 4.

:hatsoff:

Darn!, Jethro, That's too bad, I thought you'd have a ton of entries for the turkey shoot. I shot it with my .50 just for fun and had 9 hits, 6 in the brain and 3 in the neck bones, was going to shoot it with my .62, didn't think 9 would be enough, but never got to it. Maybe next yr. keep up the good work.
Deadeye

I'm thinkin' there were more than just you that didn't send 'em in 'cause they didn't think they'd score well. Sure were more than 2 guys who said they were gonna shoot... :idunno:

Back