• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Spring Turkey Season and Limit?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Just curious about the various states spring turkey regulations.

Here in California the Spring season runs this year from March 28 through May 3rd for guns, with an additional two week bow season. The limit is one bearded bird per day, three per season. Juniors can also gun hunt the weekend before the season and during the bow season. Pellet guns and shotguns only, no bigger than #2 shot.

How 'bout in your neck of the woods?

Kansas divides the state up into Regions but, for the most part, two bearded turkeys is what we are allowed in the Spring, bow or gun. I still have a tag left but the turkeys seem to be gone around my place. That one I got opening day was in a different county.
Thanks again Tracy for sharing one of your spots. :hatsoff:

Missouri's season is three weeks long and always starts on the third Monday of April. Methods include shotgun (muzzleloader or modern) with shot no bigger than #4, bows, atlatls, and crossbows.

Here's where it gets complicated: For the season, you are allowed two birds with a visible beard. However, you are only allowed one of those during the first week. After the first week you can kill one bird a day up to a total of two. And also, the season closes each day at 1:00 pm.

Darren

I have hunted deer with my Atlatl here in Mo., but not even going to think about it for turkeys!! I'll bet I know a few folks trying it though, as dedicated to that weapon as they are!!!

Minnesota is about the stingiest state there is. The regulations are in review now for next year and there is hope it loosens up some.

Basically we have a series of short seasons. It starts around mid-April with four 5-day seasons. If you want one of the first three you have to pay a fee to be put into a lottery for the zone you want to hunt. You may or may not get drawn. If you don't, then you can buy an over-the-counter for the later season of your choice. Then there are four more 7-day seasons. The last 5 day season and the four 7-day seasons are now over-the-counter (just changed 2 years ago as all were lottery draw before). For gun you get to hunt ONE of those seasons. Limit is ONE bearded turkey. 20 gauge minimum with #4 shot being the largest you can use (no sneaking in a nice round ball!) Bowhunters who want one of the first four seasons are also limited to hunting ONLY that short season with a one bird limit. But, if a bowhunter wants to wait, they can have the last four 7-day seasons...which essentially gives them the month of May. You can't bow hunt and gun hunt. Let's see...did I miss anything :yakyak: :youcrazy: or is that enough regulation and red tape just to hunt for one damned turkey? :cursing: :grin:

In Kentucky you are allowed two bearded birds in the spring season, three weeks, this year April 18-May 10. There are also a week in October and a week in December for shotgun, and a longer archery season. You can take one tom and one hen using shotgun and the same using bows, total of 4 birds if you use both.

Spence

This is finally "Spring Gobbler Eve" here in PA!!!!
Our season opens May 2nd thru 30th. You can take two bearded birds if you purchase the extra tag prior to opening day. Of course, the season actually began last Saturday-only for the youth. We have to quit at noon for the first part of the season and May 18 -30 you can hunt all day.

Ontario Canada where Turkey's were re-introduced in the early 1980's.

Hunting began in 1987 (really restricted/limited seasons at first).

They grew like weeds so now we have a Spring season that runs from 27th of April (last Monday) until the 30th of May.

You can take 2 bearded Turkey (but only 1 a day).

Must be shot with either -

1) shotgun - modern or black powder no smaller than 20 or larger than 10 gauge loaded with number 4, 5 or 6 shot only, or

2) bow or crossbow

there is a fall season as well where you can take one Turkey (same weapons/shot rules) but it can be bearded or no beard

Back