• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

spring flintlock pistol hunting

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Bee traps worked relatively well at our last house in the country. They are easy to make with a piece of 4x4 and an old pickle or jelly jar. You will catch a lot although more drones than females. I hate to have to kill them but the will wreck havoc on wood siding or decks.

There's a bunch of videos on YouTube. Just look for (duh) "carpenter bee traps".

They're really easy to make, and mine collect huge numbers of carpenter bees. Basically you take a piece of 4x4 that's about 4" long and drill about a half-inch hole straight up in the center from the bottom, but only go up about 3/4 of the way. Then from one of the sides, from the center of the side drill a similar hole that angles up and meets that first hole at it's top (so you have a kind of inverted 'V' pair of tunnels inside the 4x4. Drill a similarly sized hole in a jar lid (I use plastic containers for gelatto, with their plastic screw-on tops 😂) and screw that to the bottom of the trap so the hole in the top matches up with the hole in the bottom of the trap. Screw the container onto its lid. That's your trap. Pound a fence staple (or something) in the top so you can hang it. Go and hang it. There you go.

It will take a while for the bees to start to get caught. Give it a day or two. Once you catch one or two, the pheremones attract others and you'll have a jar full pretty quickly.

The angle of the inverted 'V' are and the diameter of the holes are mildly critical. Just follow the directions of something you find on YouTube. This reminds me that I have to go empty the 5 traps that have been collecting bees around my barn.

We used to make potato cannons back in the day. Great fun! Now I’m thinking instead of a potato fill it with wadding and rice and you have a punt gun.

I made mine with a 5-6”piece of 4x4. I drilled a 3/4” hole up through the bottom center to about an inch from the top. I then drilled a 1/2” hole on each side angled up to center hole. Take a old jar with lid and cut o hole in the lid to match the bottom hole in the 4x4 and nail or screw the lid to the 4x4. Screw on the jar and you are done except for something to hang the trap. I used a fence staple or hook. I had good luck hanging them under the eaves and the deck. Our deck was about 10 ft off the ground. It is amazing how many you will catch. They crawl into the 1/2 “hole and see the light coming up from below and go into the jar and can’t figure out how to get out.

My dad calls them flying quarters! Any that my boys can knock down and bring to him while at his place they get a quarter for!! Mostly they use old badminton rackets.

Latest posts

Back