• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

spring flintlock pistol hunting

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nobade

32 cal
Reaction score
I have finally had good success hunting with my flint Kentucky type pistol. The carpenter bees are back in force, and it occurred to me to try a bit of aerial shooting. 25gr. of powder, newspaper wad, a big scoop of uncooked grits, and another wad on top has proven very effective on them. I was hoping to have some photos of trophies but they get blown away and are hard to recover. I have not been able to track any but assume they are dead since they don't come back. Now I can mark that pistol as an effective hunting arm.

I have finally had good success hunting with my flint Kentucky type pistol. The carpenter bees are back in force, and it occurred to me to try a bit of aerial shooting. 25gr. of powder, newspaper wad, a big scoop of uncooked grits, and another wad on top has proven very effective on them. I was hoping to have some photos of trophies but they get blown away and are hard to recover. I have not been able to track any but assume they are dead since they don't come back. Now I can mark that pistol as an effective hunting arm.
Those carpenter bees can be really pesky. I like your solution involving the pistol and uncooked grits!

I've only got about 8 lbs of powder, and I'm pretty sure that wouldn't be enough for the ones around here. I make traps for them and then just wage a passive war of attrition. I've been doing well against them since I started making the traps, but I need to make a few more. But now that I'm thinking about it, maybe using the Crockett rifle on them with grit loads would be good practice for 28 ga. trap. 🤔

So your rifled barrel doesn’t “donut” the grits/shot; e.g. pattern in a circle with a big hole in the middle?

Well played, sir. Well played…
Haha you may think I was just joking but there is some seriousness to that in my own mind. I’ve shot grits as a filler in my BP revolvers for years. I mostly shoot my Ruger OA. I ran out of grits and bought some not realizing I bought quick grits instead of regular grits. I might have been off my game shooting, psyched myself out, had to blame it on something but I swear I don’t think my gun groups as well with quick grits lol. Might try the Amish yellow old style grits next time to up my game a little.

Haha you may think I was just joking but there is some seriousness to that in my own mind. I’ve shot grits as a filler in my BP revolvers for years. I mostly shoot my Ruger OA. I ran out of grits and bought some not realizing I bought quick grits instead of regular grits. I might have been off my game shooting, psyched myself out, had to blame it on something but I swear I don’t think my gun groups as well with quick grits lol. Might try the Amish yellow old style grits next time to up my game a little.
You should try some of that yellow cornmeal. It's pretty robust stuff.

Often they're up pretty close against a house or outbuilding. And you don't want to shoot into the building or you'll have splotches of grits all over it (and possibly damage where the grits hit). So an oblique approach is often advised.

it is an amazing feat on how that they can bore a perfect 3/8 th, hole in wood? I have never hears of them stinging any one?

Often they're up pretty close against a house or outbuilding. And you don't want to shoot into the building or you'll have splotches of grits all over it (and possibly damage where the grits hit). So an oblique approach is often advised.
For twenty years my youngest brother has been waging war against carpenter bees every spring. His weapons of choice are oversized wiffle bats and tennis rackets.

FWIW He's found there is a brief time at/near dusk, when the dark is just settling around him, but there is still enough light to see the bees silhouetted against the sky; at that time, they come out en masse, swarming the eves of our old farm house.

Apparently, the bees have poor night vision and cannot see him against the dark ground below. They don't even know he's there and take no evasive action on his approach. He will slay more bees in this short 10 to 20 minute window of perfect light conditions than a whole 12 hour day.

Since they are against the sky, this might be a good time for shooting grits nearly straight up, and avoid hitting structures. JMHO.

FWIW He's found there is a brief time at/near dusk, when the dark is just settling around him, but there is still enough light to see the bees silhouetted against the sky; at that time, they come out en masse, swarming the eves of our old farm house.
Of course in those conditions you need to be careful that you don't accidentally take out any bats. I'm not sure what the penalty might be for hunting bats without a license. It's too bad that the bats aren't interested in gobbling the carpenter bees. The woodpeckers are hell on them at times. One of the large pileated woodpeckers, about a year ago decided to go after them in a (treated!) 4x4 post that was attached to our deck so my wife could hang chimes from it. Ignoring us completely as we sat on the deck, he spent about 15 minutes going after the bees and larvae in that 4x4, and then flew off after he'd created about a 2"x3" hole in the post. But trading off woodpecker holes for bee holes in your house is probably not a good way to go. I worked briefly with a bunch of university entomologists for a while, and one of their specialities was bees. When I asked them what their advice was about the carpenter bees they told me that the best approach was to provide them with "alternative housing" where they would make their holes instead of boring them in your house. That was the point at which I started making the traps. :rolleyes:

Your brother expends a lot of effort in this, but I'd guess it helps him stay in good physical shape -- though I'm not sure about his mental health. I'm content with my passive approach -- in part because there are just too many to take them on for long in a mano a mano scenario. I catch hundreds of them in my traps, but still feel defeated and irritated. I caught one the other day drilling a hole in the center of the top moulding of my walk-in garage door -- just below the vinyl siding!! I couldn't believe it! Why THERE? I finally assassinated it with insect spray, but they are notoriously resistant to most of that except for specific bee and wasp insecticide. :confused: A triumph of evolution.

Last edited:
Ever try rice? Not really sure what grits look like uncooked. I find a tennis racket works ok. If you really want a good thwap, a canoe paddle is great, especially for the ones that don’t come down low enough.

Back