• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Spotter target is what?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Got invited to a table shoot. They are providing spotter targets, for use, or I can bring my own. Dunno what a spotter target is? :dunno: . I assume it the same as a practice target, but not sure. Could it be a mark, color, or target overlaying the competition target?
Please advise
Flintlocklar🇺🇸

Larry........What is a "Table Shoot??? .........oldwood
Microsoft Word - 5th Table Shoot Oct_2020_Flyer.docx

5th Annual RVML Table Shoot Rules for the Shoot Revision #1 Shoot date Oct. 3, 2020

Cost of shoot will be $15.00 which includes both the Open (Aggregate 1) and Hunter (Aggregate 2) Shoots. Pie shoot costs $1.00 per one enter.

Start of shoot:
At 9:00 am to 10:00 am practice will start so that each shooter will have to opportunity to sight in their rifles or rifles. You may shoot as many times as you want. At 10:30 am the shoot will begin.

Once a relay has begun each competitor will shoot one shot into their target and after each person has shot the range will be closed and each competitor will post their new target.

Spotter Target:
The Club will provide each shooter with a spotter target. If the shooter chooses to bring their own spotter target that is allowed. All spotter targets will be pinned or stapled to the back stop. The spotter target may be of any color or shape. If the shooter provides his or her own spotter target the target will not be larger than 14 inch x 14 inch.

Target distance:
The spotter targets will be posted at 35 yards from the firing line.

Number of shots for competition:
Each shooter will get 10 shots for competition. The target is a white card with a black X marked on the card. The cards are provided by the club. Only the card provided by the Club will be used and there will be no substitutions.

Spotting scopes:
Spotting scopes are allowed as long as there is space sufficient.

Table rifle:
The rifle may be either flint or percussion ignition, of either traditional hunting or traditional target type specific in the NMLRA Rules with no limit to caliber for the target rifle. All rifles will shoot a patch and round ball with black powder. In-line rifles or any rifle with a seal ignition will not be allowed.
Aggregates: There will be three aggregates.

Aggregate 1. Open class is a rifle that may not weigh more than 13 pounds unloaded, including all apparatuses which will be on the rifle at the time of firing. The rifle may not be equipped with a false muzzle or rubber recoil pad. Open class rifle does allow any shooter enter the open class with a hunting rifle. The shooter is allowed a post front sight and an aperture or peep sight at the rear. The rear sight may be adjusted during practice, but once the match starts the sight will not be adjusted and tape will be placed over the sight to prevent changing the sight. Rear sights may not contain a system of lenses, including but not limited to color polarization or magnification. Sight shaders are allowed.

Aggregate 2. Hunter rifle which cannot weigh more then 10 pounds unloaded including all apparatus on the rifle the time of firing. Traditional side hammer only .50 caliber and under. If the rear sight is adjustable once the shoot starts the rear sight will not be adjusted and tape will be applied to the rear sight to prevent adjustment. Sight shaders are allowed.

Aggregate 3. Pie Shoot is the match in which each shooter that chooses to enter has one shot at the white card provided by the Club. As per the rules the shot that comes closest to the X will win the pie.

Shooting position:
All shooters will use a common table or tables and seat provided by the range (The seats will have a maximum height of 18 inches and the Club will provide chairs and buckets to sit on). Note! Any person that is handicapped may use their wheel chair for their shooting seat. The muzzle of the rifle will be supported by a pyramid of 2 x 4s provided by the range. The rest may be covered by no more than 2 layers of cloth or leather to protect the finish of the rifle barrel. No double rest. No artificial rests such as sand bags or other supports will be allowed. (See the range officers for any questions). The rear portion of the rifle must be supported by the shooter. The shooter cannot use blocks, sand bags, or other devices intended to stabilize the rifle. The shooter may rest his or her shooting arm / elbow on the shooting table for support. The other hand may be placed on the rifle or on the other arm.

Match scoring:
The match will be scored by a string measure. From the center of the X to the center of the shot hole, shortest total string measure wins. Any shots outside 2” will be counted as 2”.

Coaching:
Coaching of a competitor will not be allowed in the Table Shoot once the competition begins.

Participants:
All adults 18 years of age and older will compete together. Any person younger than 18 will be entered in the youth competition.

Medals provided:

Each match a small gold medal will be given to the top scoring shooter.

The aggregate winners will be given medals for 1 , 2 , and 3 place.

The Sweet Shot prize is for the one shot that comes to being next to or a perfect shot. This shot is awarded a plaque.
The Pie Shoot. Top score is awarded a pie. If there is enough pies the Club will award more than one pie.

Lunch will be available after the shoot is over.

A spotter target is what you use to aim at. The scoring target is placed behind your spotter target. Note that the scoring target is changed each relay. Your spotting target stays there. In this case it doesn't matter where you end up hitting on your spotting target, as long as it is always in the same place (at least that is the goal). You then situate your scoring target to align X with the center of your impact site on the spotter.

A spotter target is what you use to aim at. The scoring target is placed behind your spotter target. Note that the scoring target is changed each relay. Your spotting target stays there. In this case it doesn't matter where you end up hitting on your spotting target, as long as it is always in the same place (at least that is the goal). You then situate your scoring target to align X with the center of your impact site on the spotter.
Thanks, that is what I had hopped for.:thumb: I was not sure.
Flintlocklar 🇺🇸

A table shoot is a bench rest shoot. The bench is often a sturdy table or bench. Sometimes, not so sturdy, more like an ironing board. The rest is (often) a simple non adjustable block of wood with a sandbag to rest the rifle. Similar to a chunk gun (shooting prone resting the rifle on a chunk of wood) or over-the-log match shooting prone. For some of us it is easier to shoot sitting at a table or bench rather than clambering up from a prone position.

The target is often an X target. One shot on the target each relay.

The spotting target is often supplied by the shooter. Often matched to the sights of the rifle to provide the most consistent sight picture for a tight group. Three shots are shot on the spotter target. The spotter target is placed with the center of the group placed on the crossing of the X in the scoring target. One shot is fired and the target is returned for scoring. Depending on the match each target can get scored for a prize and the whole group of targets, up to 10 will have the distances from the center of the ball to the center of the X added for a cumulative string score. Good strings are less than 10". Winning strings are often less than 5"

Sometimes there is a prize for the one target from all the relays that is closest to the X. A target with the center of the ball on the crossing of the X is referred to a spider with 4 legs.

Larry........What is a "Table Shoot??? .........oldwood

A table shoot is a chunk shoot for old guys (like me) who don't do well laying on the ground. :)

A specific rest is used on a table. it looks like this

tab shoot pyramid.jpg

Larry

I had to ask as well. I am hoping to be there Saturday.

I also had to ask, why nothing bigger then a .50 cal for hunter match? I am a .54 kinda guy. No answer on that one yet.

Perhaps I will see you there

Fleener

Spotter target is often just a matter of terminology. One old-timer range officer once told me we should "practice" before coming to the match. But "sighting" before taking scoring shots as OK.

When competing in the Marine Corps the spotter target usually a 3 in black or white disc was used to mark the previous bullet strike on the target, allowing for dope changes if needed relating to your range reference data ( dope data or range card ) for the next shot, these were very helpful at all yardages but especially important once you passed the 500 yard range. Seems to me if your in a match your weapon would have already been zeroed for the ranges you would be shooting and the adjustments needed for various yardages would be written down for reference. A another method of obtaining a zero is called triangularization but that is a totally different bird.

Back