• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Spot and Stalk Mulie

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I managed to take this 4X4 mulie Sunday afternoon above the Snake River in Washington with my .62 T/C Hawken and .595 ball in front of 90 gr of Goex 2f. I spotted him from almost a mile away but couldn't tell if he was a legal 3 point, so I sneaked in and sat just above him on the rimrock. He was bedded about 25 yards below me with a doe and fawn. I couldn't get far enough over the edge without spooking the doe, so I just waited him out. After about 2 1/2 hours the doe and fawn got up and started to feed, but the buck just stayed put. Finally about 45 minutes later the sun hit him and he stood. Luckily I managed to stay awake and alert in the sun and made the shot good. He dropped off the edge of his bed and lay about 30 feet below in the scree. He is a pretty good sized deer for this area of public land. The second picture shows the buck as he lay, his bed near the shade center right, and where I sat just to the left of the bushes on the rimrock near the center of the picture. I'm always solo, so these guys take a toll on the body getting them out. I finally got the last load in the truck Monday afternoon!
IMG_3688.JPG

IMG_3690.JPG

I managed to take this 4X4 mulie Sunday afternoon above the Snake River in Washington with my .62 T/C Hawken and .595 ball in front of 90 gr of Goex 2f. I spotted him from almost a mile away but couldn't tell if he was a legal 3 point, so I sneaked in and sat just above him on the rimrock. He was bedded about 25 yards below me with a doe and fawn. I couldn't get far enough over the edge without spooking the doe, so I just waited him out. After about 2 1/2 hours the doe and fawn got up and started to feed, but the buck just stayed put. Finally about 45 minutes later the sun hit him and he stood. Luckily I managed to stay awake and alert in the sun and made the shot good. He dropped off the edge of his bed and lay about 30 feet below in the scree. He is a pretty good sized deer for this area of public land. The second picture shows the buck as he lay, his bed near the shade center right, and where I sat just to the left of the bushes on the rimrock near the center of the picture. I'm always solo, so these guys take a toll on the body getting them out. I finally got the last load in the truck Monday afternoon!
View attachment 96474
View attachment 96475
Outstanding and congratulations, also great pics.

Nice deer. The waiting game can be brutal but sometimes that is the fun part. What brand .62 barrel are you packing on your Hawken? Been thinking about a .62 TC myself. Thanks for the good read.

Back