• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Sporting Bess? (anouther dumb question)

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

riarcher

45 Cal.
Reaction score
Understanding that it's human nature for folks to to "mess" with things. I'm assuming that folks after the revolution probably modified some Bess' for various reasons. Like our 30-06, military (surplus?) arms were probably altered for personal use.
I'm looking for some examples of this. Not the (for indians) "Trade Guns," modified in mass for a group, but individually "personalized".
I thought it would be interesting to see. Any links / books that anyone is aware of on these?
I'm inclined to believe that many were probably used as single shot shotguns? (Maybe?)For poor folk? ::

I've never seen an example, but like you said- the "sporterizing" of muskets HAD to happen. During war times, there were many 'short' versions, as used by Sappers, Dragoons & other mounted infantry when horses became common in warfair, with the Indians, for example. Mounted soldiers didn't come into being, much, if any, until the 1830's and I presume shortening, and perhaps lightening of muskets must have happened, even within the military as verious armories AT the forts modified or worked on muskets to get firing examples from those damaged. With the ball ctgs. there was a positive chance of the charge moving foreward before it was fired, as well as those fired after loading without a rod, rung barrels must have happened. Shortening rung muskets MUST have hapened within the military itself, let alone within the thousands and thousands sold to the public. At the same time, many muskets of military design were made by the contractors and sold directly to civilians. SOME of these must have been modified for a 'handier' musket, just as the examples of shortened rifles & revolvers have come to light.
: Not a dumb questions at all. Very few are, very few.
Daryl

I suspect that any modifications would have been minor and of low cost, probably simple sights and shortening of the barrel. I doubt that one would go to the trouble of "sporterizing" a military gun then as one would do a modern surplus bolt action.

What I had in mind was exactly like you said- shortening the barrel, copping off the forend - sights- dame as most do with surplus mil. rifles today.
: One of the captians, had an 1803, when re-bored to .58, and re-rilfed with progressive depth rifling which was the comon re-furbish once the minnie bullets becae issue. it was then re-stocked in a normal single shotgun stock and re-sighted with full buckhorn sight rear. This particular rifle was said to be exceptionally accurate & with it, he made a single shot instant kill on an Antelope. He had the teamster pace it off as this teamster had long legs and could be taken as full distance without complaint. The teamster paced off a full 475paces to the dead animal. Quite a shot for a minnie rifle, eh, even if it was only 300 yards. The issue ctg. was 60gr. for the 58's, 70gr. for the .69 minnies.
: Many exerps and quotes talk of round ball guns making kills and normal range shots at 200 to 300 yds. Many of their impromptu contests amongst themselves and also competition against "Fort" Indians were at ranges from 150yds. to 200 yds. My bro and I made frequent long range practice back in the 70's& 80's and with a good sized ball, 2' round pates are easy offhand game at 200 and 300yds.
Daryl

Another change (long after the revolution) was the conversion to percussion ignition...
brown-bess-2-cropped250.jpg

Sorry for the small picture, but that's all I could find...

The Sea Service Bess Taylor re-furbished, had the original double-throated flint cock converted to hold a small cylinder bored to strike the nipple on the drum, threaded into the vent hole.
: In the US, many tens of thousands of muskets were convertd to percussion in 1842 onwards, then a around 1854 their barrels were rifled.
: That is a particualry nice looking cap-lock Bess. The hammer appears to be a sporting hammer, not a heavy club of a military type.
:Daryl

Back