• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Split nipple

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tiger955

40 Cal.
Reaction score
I bought a used TC Hawken caplock off a member here a little while back (very happy with my purchase BTW). I looked the rifle over carefully before using it and everything looked good, except the rear sight was broken in shipping which was no big deal since I was planning on installing a tang sight anyway.
Anyhow, I worked up some heavy loads for 270 gr conicals in it and have only fired roughly 50 shots out of it, I mostly just carry it around varmint hunting. I was cleaning it the other day and noticed the nipple appears to be split, or cracked, vertically from the top about 1/3 of the way down. When I first got it I checked the nipple and it looked like a new one. I have never dry fired it, and always keep a leather pad between the nipple and cock when in storage.
Has anyone ever seen a nipple split like this? As far as I know the lock is all factory TC, and works just fine.

Some nipples are too soft and some are too hard. It's possible that the previous owner dry fired it some. If it was normal or a bit soft, it would have most likely mushroomed some. If not, it's probably too hard and after firing several times just gave out and cracked. I wouldn't shoot it anymore until I replaced it with a new one. It could rupture completely and send a few pieces of shrapnel flying. Besides that, there will be gas leakage through the crack and the shape of the orifice will have changed some and could affect accuracy. Mostly though, change it for the sake of safety. By the way, does the mainspring seem to be too strong? A very strong spring can be hard on nipples too.

I've not seen a nipple do this but anything is possible.

I suggest buying several replacement nipples for your gun because one never knows when something like this will happen plus it's always good to know that you've got a back up nipple available.

The correct thread size for your gun is 1/4-28.

I've had good luck with Hot Shot nipples but the Ampco nipples are rated excellent by many shooters.

When using heavy conicals the pressure is increased greatly compared to round ball loads so that may have been a contributing factor in splitting the nipple, but since they are cheap and don't last forever just get a new one (or two for backup) and keep shooting. I recommend getting the bronze AMPCO nipples.

I've heard a lot of good reports about the AMPCO nipples, but if you do use them with hot loads and heavy bullets, be sure to remove them and clean and inspect them often. They will burn out around the threaded shank.

I wouldn't worry about it, just replace it. Nipples are considered "consumable", like the flint on a flintlock. Every now and then you just need to get a new nipple. Bill

Three years ago at the old north west a teenage girl was shooting a traditions and the nipple on her gun split. Her mother gave her the camp name "split nipples" . My nephew's youngest boy was there and he could believe her mother would call her Split Nipples. Her teenage brother yes but not her mother! :idunno: :idunno: ,On the serious side it is not unusual for nipples that have been hardened to split. Usually it will happen right away after installing them in the gun. :hmm:

The nipple was not mushroomed, so I don't think it was dry fired. I believe the spring on the cock is ok, it is about the same tension cocking it as my TC flinter. I have 2 old CVA mtn rifles and they actually have more tension to cock them.
I always take the nipple out when cleaning, and I have checked the little port in the bottom of it for erosion. I don't see any so I don't think it is the heavy loads, and they are not THAT heavy ( 80-90gr 2f behind a 270 gr bullet). As they say, "Must just be one of them thangs", I just never heard of one splitting before.
I ordered a couple new nipples, bronze and stainless, and don't plan to shoot it till I get a new one in it.

Yep, it's just one of those things that happen. I bought some nipples a couple of years ago that were so soft they mushroomed after less than 5 shots. I dressed them in a lathe and casehardened them. Others have been quite hard and lasted for hundreds of shots and burned out before any external wear was noticed. I've never had one to split yet. Like anything else that man makes, there's bound to be some that fail with no apparent reason.

Ghettogun said:
Well Zonie, I guess you never owned a Traditions rifle then :wink:

I saw Traditions nipples in the right size for my Lyman and picked up three. They're the only nipples I've seen split, and all three did it within less than 100 rounds. Total.

BrownBear said:
Ghettogun said:
Well Zonie, I guess you never owned a Traditions rifle then :wink:

I saw Traditions nipples in the right size for my Lyman and picked up three. They're the only nipples I've seen split, and all three did it within less than 100 rounds. Total.

You fail at nipples.

I have one with 500 rounds on it.

More like Traditions fails. I won't make that mistake ever again. Ampcos are just getting broke in at 500, as far as I can tell.

bobman said:
thanks I'll order some

Bob

I bought a AMPCO back when they first came out. I found that in removing it and cleaning the gun etc.
that is indexed about 1/8 turn farther everytime I put it back in.

Leakage of gas or anything else through the nipple threads means the nipple seat is not properly done. The nipple should seat against a flat that matches the flat on the nipple.
These are cut with a piloted counterbore. But don't expect this on most of the percussions you see. Too much trouble for the factories,the makers of patent breeches it seems and most makers never pay any attention either.
The counterbore may need to have the pilot sleeved to fit the threaded hole.
P1010019.jpg

MSC number 81852105 might not even need to be sleeved having a .187" pilot.

Dan

Latest posts

Back