• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Spit patching while wearing a mask

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My homemade mask protects me from all sorts of bad things.

It was made by my daughter-in-law so wearing it keeps my wife from pounding knots on my head and prevents nasty glances from my daughter-in-law and my son. It also received the praise of being called, "Star Wars!! That's the best looking mask I've seen yet!!" from my doctors medical assistant. :D

Yah, I know it doesn't do much against the virus but it makes other people feel safer and that's not all bad.

OK, I finally read the 3 pages and as none have posted the obvious here it is......If you are after optimum accuracy we all know you are chewing Cope or Skoal while at the line. SO USE THE BOTTLE BEHIND THE RECLINER?🎯

disclaimer: I suddenly quit chewing about 6 months ago, no reason, just quit? So my shooting skills have suffered as I ran out of bottles behind the recliner and just cant bring myself to borrow??

OK, I finally read the 3 pages and as none have posted the obvious here it is......If you are after optimum accuracy we all know you are chewing Cope or Skoal while at the line. SO USE THE BOTTLE BEHIND THE RECLINER?🎯

disclaimer: I suddenly quit chewing about 6 months ago, no reason, just quit? So my shooting skills have suffered as I ran out of bottles behind the recliner and just cant bring myself to borrow??

(Know that creepy feeling that sends tingles of fear up your spine and causes your neck to shudder? I just had one...)

Make a loading block. Load a run of shots, use lard, olive oil, moose milk. Mink oil, cooking oil, ect.
When you shoot your string, wipe your bore and reload your block.
You can cut at the ‘muzzle’ of your loading block,so you don’t have to have precut patches

If you just lube your patches with MAP instead of spit you are combining 3 of the best antiviral agents available over the counter. Soap, alcohol and hydrogen peroxide. Heck it's sanitizer in a bottle.

Covid 19 has been detected in saliva.... So by taking a spit patch from your mouth you could be spreading it on your rifle and accouterments with your wet fingers and who knows what else.

What does the CDC now say about the virus on inanimate objects?
It doesn't live as long as first thought. I treat everything I touch like it's been handled by a Leper. In the words of Barney Fife, I have a "hand washing compellsion". With no Spleen and the big "C" to deal with, no chances are taken.

What does the CDC now say about the virus on inanimate objects?

As of yesterday they still say;

"It may be possible that a person can get COVID-19 by touching a surface or object that has the virus on it and then touching their own mouth, nose, or possibly their eyes. This is not thought to be the main way the virus spreads, but we are still learning more about how this virus spreads."

And there recommendations are still to;

The best way to prevent illness is to avoid being exposed to this virus. You can take steps to slow the spread.

And it also recommends;

Cover your mouth and nose with a cloth face cover when around others
  • You could spread COVID-19 to others even if you do not feel sick.
  • Everyone should wear a cloth face cover when they have to go out in public, for example to the grocery store or to pick up other necessities.
    • Cloth face coverings should not be placed on young children under age 2, anyone who has trouble breathing, or is unconscious, incapacitated or otherwise unable to remove the mask without assistance.
  • The cloth face cover is meant to protect other people in case you are infected.
  • Do NOT use a facemask meant for a healthcare worker.
  • Continue to keep about 6 feet between yourself and others. The cloth face cover is not a substitute for social distancing.

I wear a mask to maybe prevent the spread in case I might have picked up the virus somewhere and just don't know it.

I know that some people don't care and try to make some kind of "statement " by not wearing one. I don't get why people don't want to take the high road.

If someone wants to make a statement like that, maybe they need to go have a look at someone who's dying from that stuff.

Just my opinion and just my life they're gambling with. Haven't seen anyone get shot over this yet but think it's only a matter of time.

I don't have the virus so I can see no reason to wear a face diaper which is uncomfortable and makes me look dumb.

Quick...call the CDC and let them know your magical method for ascertaining that you haven't been exposed to the virus. They have this silly notion about asymptomatic people spreading the thing around; they'd probably love to hear your special trick.

News flash: it's not the mask making you look dumb...

You're right. But...is there no way to edit one's posts? I don't see it...

edited to add: Nevermind, I see it on this post. I guess there's a time limit?

Yes. There is a time limit of 15 minutes. After 15 minutes has passed, the thread is locked and the only ones who can change it is an administrator or a moderator.

Back from rondevous . Sorry guys. Hand sanitizer from the distillery dries to fast for patch lube. Great for cleaning the bore!

Back