• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Spit patching while wearing a mask

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Round here it's pretty much accepted that the mask isn't to stop the virus/germs from getting to the wearer but the exact opposite. The mask is very effective at keeping the wearers germs and boogers to themselves. Im okay with that.

Right, and if you keep taking that mask off and touching your own spit with your fingers, what are you doing ?
Spreading possible infection around.

Might want to google Mary Mallon AKA "Typhoid Mary" for some interesting related reading.

Typhoid, a bacterial infection, with fecal-oral spread is a poor "analog" to SARSCOV-2, a virus.
Still, a good reminder to use very good handwashing.

Wasn't trying to make a SARSCOV-2 analogy. More about the importance of cross contamination.
I'm sure you've played with Glo Germ, Baxter, but I assume most haven't.

Wasn't trying to make a SARSCOV-2 analogy. More about the importance of cross contamination.
I'm sure you've played with Glo Germ, Baxter, but I assume most haven't.
I believe that I've seen a demonstration, but I've never played with it.
I grow weary of this plague; even my boat insurer, my bank, ad nauseam, are sending me disease advice.
Ms. Mallon did nothing to diminish the "Irish need not apply" epithet.

If you are using a water-based lube (and that's spit) try using a kitchen sponge in a portable soap dish like is used for camping. That will give you a measure of control as to how wet you get it.

Sorry, but touching the mask and your mouth constantly is probably worse than not wearing it at all.

And, yes, virus particles are vanishingly small...but they are orders of magnitude larger than molecules. You can smell through a mask because most odours are the result of individual gas molecules entering your nasal cavity and coming in contact with receptors. Just because those molecules can enter does not mean that the much larger virus particles...which are being carried on even larger aerosolized particles ejected with breath...are equally able to pass.

But, don't let me infringe on your civil liberties by suggesting that you should be at all concerned about others.

The irony of wearing a mask while handling muzzleloading firearms is beyond my understanding.
How about this one. My left hand gets the dirtiest, I have been wearing a surgical type glove on my left hand. The right hand does not get anywhere near as dirty. So the left hand the glove goes on and off as needed, Even I think it is funny. Oh well.

Since we've gone far afield here, why not start another thread-

What makes the best sanitary patch lube- Crystal Palace or Jack Daniels?

Or for the economically impaired- Wild Irish Rose

Yeah, I'm that fed up with the current situation.................

Bought some at the local distillery for a rondevous this weekend . Garland Ridgerunners warren PA.. Smells like a rye whiskey

Make a loading block. Load a run of shots, use lard, olive oil, moose milk. Mink oil, cooking oil, ect.
When you shoot your string, wipe your bore and reload your block.
You can cut at the ‘muzzle’ of your loading block,so you don’t have to have precut patches

1 if your not wearing a medical grade mask, its mostly useless. 2. lifting and wetting a patch defeats the purpose of a mask. 3. There is no proof a virus can live in black powder smoke :p

Only an NFL mask has any chance of preventing the virus from getting through, any other like the cheap garbage blue mask is only psychological, we're paying out the a$$ for something that doesn't work at all, especially the home made mask made by ant Betty.

Back