• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Spit patching while wearing a mask

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Many Klatch

69 Cal.
Reaction score
All I've ever used for patching my muzzleloaders is a spit patch, cut off at the muzzle. Went to a small shoot yesterday and found that spit patches and masks don't mix. So obviously I'm going to have to make some changes. (I hate change, that's why I shoot a flintlock :ghostly:) Anyway, I'm going to have to come up with a squirt bottle or something for future shoots. I thought I'd throw out this question to see what brilliant ideas we can come up with. I am not going to fill a squirt bottle with spit, that just seems to be gross so I guess I'm going to have to come up with a solution.

Why are you wearing a mask?
Likely for the safety of others that he will be in close proximity to.

Even though most range shooting is done at appropriate social distancing spacing, you inevitably end up chatting with someone or several someones. Masks lower the chance of you (a possible asymptomatic carrier) transmitting the disease to others.

Masks also help protect yourself in public situations. They serve as a physical reminder to not touch your face. That is why you see many people wearing them in their car.

Given the how the hospitalization rate (and mortality rate) dramatically increases with age above 50, combined with the comparatively large proportion of muzzleloader shooters who fall into these age categories, wearing a mask is the socialy responcable thing to do.

Think of it like covering your mouth when you sneeze. Even if you are sneezing because you put too much pepper on your eggs, it is the polite thing to do.

I use pre cut patches, keep them in a used tin from caps. I pre wet them. Very simple and easy.

Fleener

Problem solved Klatch....

BDA7FF7B-EF82-4AA0-9F28-B6299C223372.jpeg

Just add spit and snip off what you need.
Watch out for your mustache !
Stay safe.

"Lift the bottom of your mask, place a pre cut patch on your tongue for a few seconds, pull it out, load and shoot.

A solution.

Why are you wearing a mask?

Good question, has to mean sarcastically wearing a mask. Wearing a mask has been determined to be more hazardous to ones health in several instances. I am satisfied the varmints where I am at aren't contagious, but never know how far the CCP virus has infiltrated our borders. So far the varmints I see are all round eyed.

I find the whole idea of a mask to be silly. If three layers of clothes can't hide flatulence, it's beyond ludicrous to think it will stop anything measured in microns.

IF it DID do anything, why don't we wear them every flu season? Realistically, more people die from medical malpractice than from this flu. Couple that with sketchy record keeping driven by potential financial gain and you can't honestly trust anything put out on the "plague".

But if wearing a mask makes you feel better, go ahead. I bet it won't help your aim one bit. :D

With such low morbidity and mortality rates in my age group, I can't say that I am afraid. I will however continue to wear a mask when out in public.

There is a reason that some people are calling it "Boomer Doomer".

I'm in the "high" group and although a TV producer could probably get a half dozen or more episodes of "I Should Be Dead" from my more youthful antics, I refuse to go around giving up civil liberties for safety. I don't poke the bear much these days, mainly cause I don't run as fast as I once did.

That said, you want to wear a mask, go ahead. There are worse fates than dressing funny.

I have a small 1 ounce squirt bottle that I sometimes use. I put MAP in it.

Most any mix can be put in the spray bottle and do about the same job as spit. MAP is good, so is Murphy's Oil Soap and water, Dish soap and water, 1 part Ballistol to 7 parts water and the list goes on. As long as it will spray from your bottle, it can be applied to the patch. Water works.

In your situation, I would either place a patch in my mouth by lowering the mask a second, then retrieving it the same way.

Lowering the mask or touching your own spit soaked patch would completely negate the purpose of wearing a mask in the first place. You would be both exposing yourself and others to possible infection.
Infection prevention protocols only work if people follow them.

Back