• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

SpheroTungsten Shot: Anyone tried it?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm thinking a shot cup would be required. My Pedersoli has the chrome barrels which would probably help also.

And not just any shot cup. Be sure to use only the ones rated for tungsten, cuzz the stuff is so hard it will cut right through a conventional cup. My experience with cups sezz you also need to put a lubed wad under them, both to help limit plastic fouling in the bore and to get a decent seal around the shotcup. They're hard enough they don't upset on firing and you get some fierce gas blow-by around them.

Tungsten makes steel seem like lead. It is very hard and very abrasive.

And not just any shot cup. Be sure to use only the ones rated for tungsten, cuzz the stuff is so hard it will cut right through a conventional cup. My experience with cups sezz you also need to put a lubed wad under them, both to help limit plastic fouling in the bore and to get a decent seal around the shotcup. They're hard enough they don't upset on firing and you get some fierce gas blow-by around them.

I hear you on the shot cup. As for loading, I figured to put in my usual overpowder and cushion wad, then set the shot cup over that. Probably need to trim the shot cup to the top of the shot load so the overshot wad will snug down on the shot.

Sitting here in "no lead for hunting" California and spring turkey season approaches. Contemplating trying Sphero Tungsten shot in my Pedersoli 12ga SxS. Just wondering if anyone has any experience with this shot? This is an extremely hard tungsten based shot that is almost 40% denser than magnum lead. ( https://www.ballisticproducts.com/00bsts.pdf )
I have never used Sphero, but have used their ITX-10 in unmentionables for several seasons on ducks, and it works pretty darn good. Very similar performance to lead, and it's soft enough that no special wads are required. Your chrome lined bore should be fine with traditional loading methods

According to the chart on their web page, #6 ( ~.11" , 2.8 mm). I use it without a shot cup. I'm sure, down the road California will find that Bismith is much more dangerous to the environment than lead, especially if it becomes more popular with hunters.
Robby

According to the chart on their web page, #6 ( ~.11" , 2.8 mm). I use it without a shot cup. I'm sure, down the road California will find that Bismith is much more dangerous to the environment than lead, especially if it becomes more popular with hunters.
Robby

Thanks, they don't care about it being dangerous its just a back door way to get our guns.

IMG_3952.JPG
IMG_3953.JPG
Well, just about had to take out a second mortgage on the homestead to get it, but my pound and a half of #7 ST has arrived. Sure not a very large package for $74 plus $10 shipping! Weighed out some 1 1/2 oz charges, my pound and a half will yield a total of 16 of these, which pencils out to over $5 per charge. And a special thank you to the California Democrat super majority legislature for passing the lead ban! The ST charge occupies about 2/3 of the space needed for an ounce and a half of #5 lead shot. Just playing around with the scale a bit, I also found five #7 ST pellets pretty much weighs the same as five #5 lead, but being smaller diameter I would expect the ST to hold on to velocity a tad better, and the pellet count should be a push. I also got a bag of the Ballistic Products super heavy duty shot cups and trimmed them to just fit the ST charges. We will see how this all works out on the opener, March 30.

Latest posts

Back