• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

SPG lube not sticking to bullets

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I used the double boiler method, water in bottom pan and lube in the top pan. I arranged the bullets in a pie plate and when lube was melted I poured in it in the pie pan with the bullets and allowed it to harden. When I push the bullets out of the lube pie the lube did not stick to the grooves completely.Part of the groove had lube and half the groove had no lube. What am I doing wrong ?
Also tried dipping the bullets in the lube one at a time and all the grooves were completely filled.

How do you guys use SPG to lube your Lee REAL bullets ? When dippin the base of the bulet has lube on it, is it necessary to clean the lube off the base of the bullet ?

You need to use a tube with an inside diameter just a little larger than the bullet & cut the bullets out like you are using a cookie cutter. Or, do what I do & just stuff the lube in the grooves with your fingers.

Use your double boiler. Dip bullet in boiling water, shake off, immediately dip in lube, shake off, put on wax paper. Works well. Don't need much lube. Over do it no good, too thick. I use a pint of booze, half filled from the freezer on the wax paper and place my fresh dipped bullets around it. Cold chill sets up lube fast.
Spend time shooting not dipp'in
😊

Latest posts

Back