• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

SPG bullet lube ?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I dip my 45-70 grooves in melted SPG. I load small batches and after they’re cool I scrape off the excess before seating them. Keeps the dies cleaner but not perfect or super fast. I used to rub a dry chunk of it back and forth over the grooves to fill them but that sucked.

SPG melts if you just give it a hard look, so I wouldn't recommend that anyone spend their $$ on an overpriced, inferior product. Make your own lube with beeswax as a base. Various oils and lanolin (or not) can be added to yield a better lube.

Pan lubing with heat or via lubrisizer with pressure are how these lubes are applied.

SPG is universally used by the vast majority of BPCR shooters. It is the standard by which all others are measured. Shoving a long soft lead bullet through a lubesizer is the best way to deform the bullet. THIS IS A MUZZLE FORUM.

I just push the SPG into the grooves on the Maxi-Balls I shoot with my fingers. Works good. No complaints.

I always put it in a mason jar in a pan of boiling water to melt it down. Stand the bullets up in a tupperware dish of some sort. Pour the liquid lube into the tupperware dish and let it cool. I even put mine in the fridge. When hard push the bullets out with your thumb. Yes its called pan lubing.

SPG melts if you just give it a hard look, so I wouldn't recommend that anyone spend their $$ on an overpriced, inferior product. Make your own lube with beeswax as a base. Various oils and lanolin (or not) can be added to yield a better lube.

Pan lubing with heat or via lubrisizer with pressure are how these lubes are applied.

I must respectfully disagree and with photo evidence. I use SPG exclusively with BP cartridge loads and also with C+P conicals.
They also offer a harder version for warm climates.

1630367221897.jpeg

Oops. I transgressed into cartridge territory. My bad and I humbly apologize. Something about blackpowder usage seems to fog my muzzleloader/cartridge boundaries.

Thank you for the replies, I appreciate it.
Do you put the mason jar in the boiling water or put it in the water before it boils and let it get melted when the water gets hot enough to melt the SPG ?

FYI… I’ve had a shot glass crack (not break) from leaving it in a pan of boiling water maybe a bit long after water boiled down. Microwave seems to work better for me. I just use beeswax & olive oil with paraffin for the super hot climate .

I tried it many years ago. Pan lubed with it but lube would fall out of the lube grooves. I added two tablespoons of EV olive oil which made it gooey which made it stick to bullets. It didn't work any better than my home made lube so it went into the pot with my regular lube. It does have a pleasant smell.

I dip my 45-70 grooves in melted SPG. I load small batches and after they’re cool I scrape off the excess before seating them. Keeps the dies cleaner but not perfect or super fast. I used to rub a dry chunk of it back and forth over the grooves to fill them but that sucked.
I hate the stuff, I shot BPCR and it fouled the last half of my bore so a wet patch would not go through. I put it for sale on my table and nobody wanted any part of it. Put a free sign with no takers.

FYI… I’ve had a shot glass crack (not break) from leaving it in a pan of boiling water maybe a bit long after water boiled down. Microwave seems to work better for me. I just use beeswax & olive oil with paraffin for the super hot climate .
Don't use paraffin, get some carnauba wax.

I am a newcomer to this forum (although not to muzzleloading). I really love the forum but it seems that discussions about lubes and cleaning solutions fire up a lot of folks up like religion and politics do in other forums...

I am a newcomer to this forum (although not to muzzleloading). I really love the forum but it seems that discussions about lubes and cleaning solutions fire up a lot of folks up like religion and politics do in other forums...
WELCOME Pilgrim. You've noticed that huh..?? You're learnin, and I hope you enjoy the journey.
I'm never disappointed when following one of these threads to find that if it goes long enough...someone will just HAVE TO chime in about how stupid someone else's idea is, or how the item being discussed is junk.
Frankly...at this point in my life and my over 60 year career reloading, casting and shooting I'm able to find it all somewhat amusing and btw, sometimes I find myself learnin' something too.
As to SPG...I found it to be a quality product for the use it's intended for. I also found I could replicate a suitable replacement for much lower cost that gave me equal results on targets PLUS the satisfied feeling I get from DIY.
All part of the fun.

I hate the stuff, I shot BPCR and it fouled the last half of my bore so a wet patch would not go through. I put it for sale on my table and nobody wanted any part of it. Put a free sign with no takers.

If SPG fouled your bore so bad you could not get a wet patch through, you were doing something wrong, not the lube.
You don't have multiple master and triple A shooters using a product that doesn't work. Some switched to Dan Theodore's White Lightening lube but some also switched back again to SPG.

And it might work for muzzleloading, don't know, never tried it, I'm pretty much a spit or tallow man.

And my apologies to the rest of the forum for my over the top response of epic proportions. I will tone down my future responses for the sake of community manners.

Using SPG on your conicals, the best way to apply it would be to melt the lube in a double boiler, then dip each bullet in the lube wipe the base off with an old towel. and set on a board to let the lube harden.
You can use a piece of metal tubing for a cake cutter.
I prefer Bullshops Nasa lube over SPG for bullets that need be lubed, or grease cookies. But there's no denying the hundreds if not thousands of matches won by bullets lubed with SPG

Sounds as if the general consensus is that SPG is great stuff. Contrary opinions are shut down by real world results. Makes me feel a bit redeemed. Of course I won’t mention anyone in particular.

Back