• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Speer .433 Round Ball

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Pretty sure those have hollowed out cavities to fit modern pistol bullets intended for use in non-traditional modern muzzleloaders

"I notice that Speer offers a .433 cal swaged RB. Which bore size is this, .40 or .45?"

Reason I'm asking is because I'm getting setup to start shooting a .40 cal and they don't list the bore size for that ball, only .433 and it appears to me to be in between .40 and .45 cal.

.433 would be for a .45 rifle with a THICK patch or not, it depends on actual size of the bore. I doubt you'd stay interested long trying to ram it into a .40 :shocked2:

Actually it's worth a lot :thumbsup: ....That's exactly what I just ordered yesterday from Pecatonica River Long Rifle.....Green Mountain .40 cal 15/16 38" long......comes complete w/ under rib, rr pipes, drum/nipple, adjustable open sights, even comes with ramrod, and already blued! Price $260. I'm paying an extra $40 to get the rear barrel wedge installed so it will fit my Lyman GPR. All told, shipping included is $320 out the door and ready to shoot. I don't think that deal can be beat by anyone anywhere.

There is little in this game that is exact. Barrels are what they are and there can be great variations. The .433" ball will be for a barrel that is a bit smaller than most .45 cal. barrels. You need to try different ball size and patch combos in your barrel to determine the size you need.

Rifleman1776 said:
There is little in this game that is exact. Barrels are what they are and there can be great variations. The .433" ball will be for a barrel that is a bit smaller than most .45 cal. barrels. You need to try different ball size and patch combos in your barrel to determine the size you need.

Ed Rayl makes a .44 smoothbore pistol barrel, it uses a .433 ball.

Hey, maybe that's what it's intended for, smoothie shooters. I can't imagine a .45 bore being tight enough, or a .40 bore being loose enough for anyone to need to use it in either.

Just wondering here. Are the H&A's considered to be .43 or .44 cal, and or, stamped as such?

You place the ball between 2 wood rasps and work the ball back and forth to put dimples in it.

That helps to expand the ball diameter a bit and gives the patch something to grab hold of.

A quality smoothbore pistol can be amazing accurate.

Mine has an Ed Rayl barrel, L&R flintlock lock, single set trigger and maple stock.

Probably for a 44. Charles Burton makes them in rifled barrels too. We don't see a lot of 44's being built or sold today, (other than 44 percussion pistols that take a .451 ball so go figure) but it was a relatively common rifle caliber in the olden days.

mtmanjim said:
Just wondering here. Are the H&A's considered to be .43 or .44 cal, and or, stamped as such?

out of curiosity I went & checked my buggy rifle & it doesn't even list the caliber. the only stampin' on it is :

NUMRICH ARMS
HOPKINS & ALLEN
WEST HURLEY, N. Y.

mtmanjim said:

MM, to be happy in this game you must step away from the modern mentality of thinking everything is perzactly such and so. Things are "considered" whatever anyone wants to consider them.

So far, the only .40 cal balls I've been able to locate are .395, but I'm sure with the right thickness of patch it'll do just fine. Spit patch has always worked well for me, lube wise, but I'm gonna give Dutch Shoultz' recipe a try and see what happens. I have a lot of confidence that I'll have good results with it.

My first Kentucky style longrifle was a flintlock "Kentuckian", ordered back in 1972.
It was made in Italy and was a pretty nice rifle.
As I recall, it was imported by Centennial Arms.

It was listed as a .44 caliber and it shot the .433 diameter roundballs you asked about.

Yep, .433/.44 cal does definitely make more sense than anything else by far.

Latest posts

Back