• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

"spectacle" question

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Good evenin folks....

I elected to take a light weight rifle into the deer woods. I grabbed a Traditions Spring field Hawken outta the gun case and noted the bright yellow post it in the barrel that said LOADED. Would have had to have been loaded for about 4-5 years?

So I head to the forest and shot it (went off as if loaded that day) and it printed 6-8 inches low. Hmm, maybe the T7 or whatever did get old? So I loaded with my charge of 80 gr Blk MZ and shot 2 more and got a 2" group 6-8 inches low with the three shots.

The difference was, maybe?, that I was wearing new contact lenses vs glasses. Just wondering if others have noted a distinct difference in POI when switching glasses to contacts etc, or vise versa?. This one had primitive sites so after 20 shots and several swipes of the file my last three were touching with one clipping the left side of the 2 inch bull so I called it ready. Of course these were shot out the opened door of the Corolla too! That ones a keeper most likely.

I will take another old case queen out soon and shoot with glasses first then contacts and see what happens?

Deer hunt was a joke. 3 full days and saw three does n three fawns n 67K elk, 18 antelope and 2 coyotes. Last day sat water that was BEATEN with tracks and saw 34K crows and a hawk in 10 hrs. This was a trophy unit tooo_O

I would not be at all surprised. I briefly tried contact lenses and never got so I could stand them.

But I do notice when I get new glasses it takes a while for my eyes to "settle in" to the sights. The sights are fixed (filed in place - non-adjustable) and have been for 15 years, but eventually my eyes get back to being used to those sights. In other words: I trust my sights more than my eyes. ;-)

Remember - you brain interprets what your eyes are picking up (which is hitting your retina upside-down). Eventually it reprograms itself to the new input. If it doesn't . . . then maybe you have to adjust your sights.

Good evenin folks....

I elected to take a light weight rifle into the deer woods. I grabbed a Traditions Spring field Hawken outta the gun case and noted the bright yellow post it in the barrel that said LOADED. Would have had to have been loaded for about 4-5 years?

So I head to the forest and shot it (went off as if loaded that day) and it printed 6-8 inches low. Hmm, maybe the T7 or whatever did get old? So I loaded with my charge of 80 gr Blk MZ and shot 2 more and got a 2" group 6-8 inches low with the three shots.

The difference was, maybe?, that I was wearing new contact lenses vs glasses. Just wondering if others have noted a distinct difference in POI when switching glasses to contacts etc, or vise versa?. This one had primitive sites so after 20 shots and several swipes of the file my last three were touching with one clipping the left side of the 2 inch bull so I called it ready. Of course these were shot out the opened door of the Corolla too! That ones a keeper most likely.

I will take another old case queen out soon and shoot with glasses first then contacts and see what happens?

Deer hunt was a joke. 3 full days and saw three does n three fawns n 67K elk, 18 antelope and 2 coyotes. Last day sat water that was BEATEN with tracks and saw 34K crows and a hawk in 10 hrs. This was a trophy unit tooo_O
I have never shot wearing prescription glasses, but I would have thought that the sighting would be the same regardless of what eye wear you used. The post placed in the rear sight picture would not change, larger or smaller perhaps, but the position would not change. If you were not able to see the sights or the target properly with spectacles, then I could understand why the results may differ. I did one time wear my driving glasses, I could see the target fine, but not the sights! I did not use them to shoot with & wore safety glasses instead.
Keith.

Ya Cowboy, a drive by....Anger me and I'll drive by in my Corolla and "pop a cap on ya" LOL

Stumpkiller....I love my contacts, can see to shoot just fine. I now have to use reading glasses though to see screen etc which I dont like. I had a heck of a time getting them in, took about 3-4 weeks.

Would have had to have been loaded for about 4-5 years?....(went off as if loaded that day) and it printed 6-8 inches low....., So I loaded with my charge of 80 gr Blk MZ and shot 2 more and got a 2" group 6-8 inches low with the three shots. ....This one had primitive sites so after 20 shots and several swipes of the file my last three were touching with one clipping the left side of the 2 inch bull ....I will take another old case queen out soon and shoot with glasses first then contacts and see what happens?

Powder varies from lot to lot,and can vary a lot over the years. I think it more likely that the manufacturer modified over time the ingredients, and your load is simply a little bit slow compared to the past, thus causing a bit more drop as the bullet travels to the target, over time. The manufacturer probably "tightened" up on consistency between shots by a slight reformulation, which would explain the change in muzzle velocity. I know that when I was heavily into breech loaders, when I found a factory load that shot as well as my reloads, I would "stock up" on that load, particularly the "lot" or batch of powder used. While we're shooting in our muzzleloaders, loads without cases, we're still using powder, and a BP substitute is probably more prone to variations from formulation than age old black powder.

LD

After cataract surgery I had to go to reading glasses to read and to see the front sight on my rifle. Still not perfect but I CAN see the sight, now. The only odd thing is that they shoot a bit higher than they did previously.

Another possibility is over the course of 4-5 years you may have change how you take a sight picture along with some change with the eye glasses and the two combine to make the difference. At what range were you that low?

Latest posts

Back