• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Specific feedback on this specific anvil please.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The Appalachian

Feral American
Reaction score
I'm fixing up a couple forges, one gas, and one coal, and looking for a couple anvils. Smaller for now, bigger later. Some are WAY above my paygrade, especially the antiques so I'm looking at a more economical solution.

This size, 100 pounds would do a LOT of what I need to do for now. I'll be on the lookout though for a bigger one along the way. Knife work, tomahawk heads, and small longrifle parts are what I need to do right now.

Any feedback on THIS anvil?

Screenshot_20220916-180603_Samsung Internet.jpg

@Loja man, do you own the vevor anvil in the ad?

That Atlas, without a horn, and only 65lbs, and almost $200 more, is, well, not worth the money to me.

@Loja man, do you own the vevor anvil in the ad?

That Atlas, without a horn, and only 65lbs, and almost $200 more, is, well, not worth the money to me.
I don’t own the vevor anvil. I have used softer cast/pig iron metal as a anvil before. It will work if your not to serious. But you have to work a lot harder to move the metal compared to a anvil of the proper hardness.
We all have our priorities. I get it. For the things you mentioned I don’t see the need of a horn. Yet many people want them because they are part of what a anvil “should” look like.
I have used the atlas anvil. They work great! Also it is a small American business witch I like.
You can see what I started with. Some kind of tractor weight I ground flat. Did it work yes. Did I have to work a lot harder? Yes! I would look for something in a scrap yard before I paid the $165 for the cast steel anvil. I am now working on a 120lb Fisher.
Aaron

Attachments

• 3F38FDAB-D82D-443D-92CD-D3146A9B2355.jpeg
    3F38FDAB-D82D-443D-92CD-D3146A9B2355.jpeg
    662.3 KB · Views: 0
Where are you located? Have you watched for used anvils on Craigslist and FB market place? If so what do they sell for per pound?

A piece of heavy railway track is quite cheap and can be shaped for a horn.
The working face will be hard because of the compression of millions of wheels, typically to cut rail with a power hacksaw the rail must be turned upside down as the blade will skid on the running surface.
Got a piece you can sell me?

Nah, nevermind, I don't want to use rail.

Hint: I have an anvil on one side of my shop. Apiece of railroad track on the other side. I mounted the railroad track to another piece of metal******UPSIDE DOWN***** It makes a much better work piece that way.

All the way from China for free lol. Where in the world do people get the notion that anything is free? In this case you’ld be buying a piece of manure made by slave labor in China, for around $50 plus $115 shipping. But to make you feel better they call it $165 with FREE shipping....

I'd rather have a piece of RR iron with the top milled flat than a cast iron anvil. It will be interesting to see how ling the horn will stay on the Vevor anvil, good anvils are made of cast steel. That's why they ring when struck with a hammer.

I would just check the want ads in your area. Alabama State Dept of Agriculture use to have a farm paper they put out every month, but finally discontinued it after about 75 years of publication. There were old anvils advertised for sale often.

I didn't realize old anvils were worth so much until I started doing some research. I got one that was my dad's, it would take two strong men to move it. It weighs close to 200 lbs or more, definitely a real nut buster to move. He got it from an old widow woman up on the mountain. She told him it belonged to her husband who used to work for L&N Railroad. He said he would stop by from time to time and ask her about the anvil, which she had sitting in her flower garden. She told him he could have it if he could pick it up, he eventually bought it for $100, and that was over 40 years ago. I've seen some of these 200+ lbs. anvils advertised for over $1,000.

All the way from China for free lol. Where in the world do people get the notion that anything is free? In this case you’ld be buying a piece of manure made by slave labor in China, for around $50 plus $115 shipping. But to make you feel better they call it $165 with FREE shipping....
Shipped from South Carolina to Virginia, and yeah, free shipping.

Thanks for your "opinion" though........

Since I don't do any serious blacksmithing and only small stuff, I have two steel anvils one is a 40-pound farriers anvil and the other is a small 12-pound bench top anvil marked "Trenton". They both take care of my needs.

Back