• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Specific bullets for cold weather hunting?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Oregononeshot

36 Cal.
Reaction score
A friend and I are thinking of doing a late season Idaho elk hunt next year. My friend has a buddy who currently does this hunt, and mentioned he makes "special" bullets for when the weather gets below 20 degrees. He only uses them if it will be that cold. Is this a real thing? I don't know if they are round balls or conicals. It just got me wondering because the temperatures will possibly drop to single digits on that hunt, and didn't know if I should be concerned?

Cover the muzzle with a plug or balloon if in heavy snowing or rain when loaded.
Flick off before firing. If the powder and cap stays dry, nothing will hold back the
projectile as explosive energy is unleashed down the barrel. Never heard of special
bullets down here--but in Alaska maybe there is. anyone from Yukon or Arctic
circle could tell us.

In Alaska most folks have electrical tape on the end of their guns, modern or BP. Tape is to keep water/snow out. When we were on horse back, the tape kept the water out of the barrel when swimming the horses across creeks.

When it is time to shoot, you shoot. The force of the air rushing out of the barrel blows the tape off.

When it gets to zero or below, probably need to carbon tet the lock and trigger assembly to get the oil out so it will function.

Back