• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Sparrow Pistol- a challenge awaits

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Pathfinder may I ask, does your skill as an artist influence what you have been doing during this build ? You seem to approach each step in a more creative thought planned manner more then a average builder .When I build I concentrate on function and dependability my builds look off the shelf but yours I would give my eye teeth to own
Hi colimr- thats a very good question. I have been thinking about it and just would say that I work from the heavy areas towards the thin areas. On these I always do the lock first since the mortises are cut, then do the barrel so I can align it up with the pan. After that I usually work on the butt and then the fore stock, followed by shaping the front of the lock panels and moldings which go last. I really cant say exctly why... I spend a long time just looking over the blank and imagine what I want to do with it.

Last edited:
Consider using the handle off a fancy solid silver antique silver tea spoon, this is what I used for thumbpieces' back when I was building. Sometimes the spoon-end would serve as a nice butt cap. A good selection was usually available at antique shops, this was before the internet & ebay.
relicshooter
UInteresting idea! Anyway its brass so the silver would be kind-of wonky. I do like your creativity.

I think I am about ready to start the finish on the Sparrow pistol. I had a couple slivers to glue in so I'll let it set overnight and look it over to see if I need to do more. (My temptation is usually to do too much and over-work a project so I'll keep that in mind.)
For the finish I am planning to finish it like I did the French Dragoon, which was a few hand-rubbed BLO applications and after thoroughly drying, applying a satin wiping varnish. I am excited with how it's coming along :)

Attachments

• prefinish 1.jpg
    prefinish 1.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 0
  • prefinish 2.jpg
    prefinish 2.jpg
    951.3 KB · Views: 0
  • prefinish 3.jpg
    prefinish 3.jpg
    624.7 KB · Views: 0
  • prefinish 4.jpg
    prefinish 4.jpg
    685 KB · Views: 0
The "Sparrow" pistol kit from MBS arrived today. Everything looks good and like a straight-forwards kit build... Except for one little thing.. the Butt Cap!
I am imagining how I will go about installing this diabolically grinning butt-head. I know in-letting it will be painstaking and that's ok. But that casting stem sticking up out of the bowl needs to go (these caps are screw-attached with one passing through the mask's mouth into the stock) and I have no idea how to do it. I imaging cutting as much as I can get to with a small hack saw and then using a small ball grinder perhaps? I'm just guessing here.
If anyone has done one of these could you give some hints as to how the best way to approach it would be?
Muchly appreciated,
Bob

What is the Sparrow?

For the finish I am planning to finish it like I did the French Dragoon, which was a few hand-rubbed BLO applications and after thoroughly drying, applying a satin wiping varnish. I am excited with how it's coming along :)
Very excellent story especially with the nice pictures. Thanks for sharing.

Great job and post. I've always thought that these English, 18th Century pistols were some of the best looking during the period.

Rick

I decided not to use any stain on this stock but allow the natural colors to show. The Black Walnut got an application of Boiled Linseed Oil two days ago and I have been rubbing the it a lot with a white 3M pad, making it really smooth. After I can smell no trace of the oil (meaning it's gassed-off) I will start with some wipe-on varnish. I would like a somewhat glossy finish on the piece.

Attachments

• Linseed Oiled 1.jpg
    Linseed Oiled 1.jpg
    642.5 KB · Views: 0
  • Linseed Oiled 2.jpg
    Linseed Oiled 2.jpg
    564.4 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Pathfinder while many here have followed this adventure with admiration and some excitement as to your progress I must ask when you finally fire this sparrow will it be an anticlimactic end ? What I mean is firing it the end of this chapter or have you got plans for another project, a canvas, that will put the artist to the test or is this the end ?

Pathfinder while many here have followed this adventure with admiration and some excitement as to your progress I must ask when you finally fire this sparrow will it be an anticlimactic end ? What I mean is firing it the end of this chapter or have you got plans for another project, a canvas, that will put the artist to the test or is this the end ?
Colimr, I really appreciate your interest in this build!
For me it is quite bittersweet when one of these guns (or most any project) graduates from the workbench. The thrill of shooting them is always exciting but there is an almost deeper joy ( for me) in making them. It’s so fulfilling to be able to create something that has been just an idea and interest of the imagination, that gets transformed into something tangible. Oftentimes, the very hardest part is sending them off to a new forever home, but it’s reassuring to know someone else will be using and hopefully treasuring it as well.
As to my next adventures, I have three Kibler rifles (one a smooth rifle) to make, as well as another pistol that I am accumulating parts for. Plus, of course the Powder Horns that I also love making 🙂
I wish there was just more time…

Pathfinder please do a powder horn next. I attempted a USMC eagle globe an anchor on my horn that while my first and definitely an overly ambitious attempt came out decent Maybe watching you could give me and others tips to create something worth { bragging ) about

I decided not to use any stain on this stock but allow the natural colors to show. The Black Walnut got an application of Boiled Linseed Oil two days ago and I have been rubbing the it a lot with a white 3M pad, making it really smooth. After I can smell no trace of the oil (meaning it's gassed-off) I will start with some wipe-on varnish. I would like a somewhat glossy finish on the piece.
Absolutely fantastic job,,,,,, again.
Anyone who gets to add that pistol to their belt or sash has reason to be quite proud.

Back