Sparrow Pistol- a challenge awaits

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

Reaction score
So I went to the bench this morning just to put in the steel screw (removing the temp brass one) from the cap. After that was done I somehow decided to fuss around a bit with the lock and it's semi- fitting pre-inlet mortise. Well, another three hours flew on by and it's in. Unanticipated time well spent :)

Attachments

• Lock 2.jpg
    Lock 2.jpg
    149.9 KB · Views: 0
  • Lock copy.jpg
    Lock copy.jpg
    870.7 KB · Views: 0

colimr

40 Cal
Reaction score
What is you plan for the finish a stain and hand rub? That is going to be a show piece

Reaction score
Today I inlet the sideplate. As I expected, I needed to remove all the wood inside the outside edges of the plate shape first. Next, I carved small pieces of Walnut and glued them into the mortise to fill the small plate piercings.
I have a bit of filling to do still, but that will be later.

Attachments

• sideplate 1.jpg
    sideplate 1.jpg
    272 KB · Views: 0
  • sideplate 2.jpg
    sideplate 2.jpg
    170.4 KB · Views: 0
  • sideplate 3.jpg
    sideplate 3.jpg
    198.1 KB · Views: 0
  • sideplate 5.jpg
    sideplate 5.jpg
    234.1 KB · Views: 0
  • sideplate 6.jpg
    sideplate 6.jpg
    480.2 KB · Views: 0
Reaction score
The "Sparrow" pistol is starting to take shape. I inlet the trigger assembly this morning. For a guide, I used a Kibler rifle to give me a good distance from the trigger pivot pin to the sear bar, which is 1/2". The trigger pull is nice and light.
Then this afternoon I worked on the barrel, starting with the breech plug. The tang was long so I cut off about 3/4" and needed to just slightly cold-bend it, as the wrist on this gun is quite straight. It sits nicely and the touch hole/pan lines-up to where I want it.
Tomorrow I will install the tang screw, lug and pins, rough shape the stock and maybe begin installing the cast brass ramrod pipes. I might trim the stock some and move the entry-pipe back a bit further, not sure yet.

Attachments

• Barrel 3.jpg
    Barrel 3.jpg
    999 KB · Views: 0
  • Barrel 2.jpg
    Barrel 2.jpg
    944.6 KB · Views: 0
Reaction score
As Bud said a Dremel with a cutoff disc .Purchase a kit with a adjustable speeds that is one tool you will never regret buying the two size sanding drums are handy for the hard to reach curves and there are a bunch of attachments like a router base and a mini drill press stand available as well as numerous bits wood and metal and polishing wheels to polish that brass
Agreed. But you can also screw something up with a Dremel much faster than with hand tools.

Reaction score
I had a great eight-hour day at the workbench and got the ramrod pipes in. The stock also got some shaping, with much more to come. I have a thumb piece that I hoped to put on this pistol but it's too large and won't fit. Hope I can find a nice pistol-size one.

Attachments

• pist 4.jpg
    pist 4.jpg
    702 KB · Views: 0
  • pist 2.jpg
    pist 2.jpg
    899.9 KB · Views: 0
Reaction score
Yesterday I worked on the trigger guard and then shaped the fore-stock, adding some molding at the front of the lockplate. Today I got back for a few hours and worked on the barrel a but and also started some carving around the tang. It still needs to be cleaned-up a bit. After getting the carving started I was able to start thinning out the wrist as well, and it is taking on a very nice, slim and graceful shape.
Next I can start working on the rest of the lock and sideplate moldings.

Attachments

• trigger guard 1.jpg
    trigger guard 1.jpg
    621.2 KB · Views: 0
  • Tang carve 2.jpg
    Tang carve 2.jpg
    346.8 KB · Views: 0
  • profile.jpg
    profile.jpg
    748 KB · Views: 0
Reaction score
Of all the posts on this site watching your progress is the most enjoyable like a series you can't wait for the next episode. Keep up the good work !
Wow thanks colimr 😃 I am really glad that you are enjoying these little updates! I wanted to include more pics but I always forget to take photos as I work !

Reaction score
Thanks for posting. Really good photos, too. If I may ask without being offensive, what does one of these cost for a kit? Yours has superb, graceful lines - far better than most. Thanks again.

Reaction score
Thanks for posting. Really good photos, too. If I may ask without being offensive, what does one of these cost for a kit? Yours has superb, graceful lines - far better than most. Thanks again.
Thanks! The kit runs about $700, which included shipping and for Ryan soldering on the front sight and forward barrel lug for me.

colimr

40 Cal
Reaction score
Pathfinder may I ask, does your skill as an artist influence what you have been doing during this build ? You seem to approach each step in a more creative thought planned manner more then a average builder .When I build I concentrate on function and dependability my builds look off the shelf but yours I would give my eye teeth to own

Reaction score
I had a great eight-hour day at the workbench and got the ramrod pipes in. The stock also got some shaping, with much more to come. I have a thumb piece that I hoped to put on this pistol but it's too large and won't fit. Hope I can find a nice pistol-size one.
Consider using the handle off a fancy solid silver antique silver tea spoon, this is what I used for thumbpieces' back when I was building. Sometimes the spoon-end would serve as a nice butt cap. A good selection was usually available at antique shops, this was before the internet & ebay.
relicshooter