• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Spanish cannon commands

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jimjenky

32 Cal.
Reaction score
My three pdr went active last August with the boring of the touch hole. We have since created a cannon crew and drilled for the last six months on proper loading and safety and have been certified to shoot our cannon in any Louisiana state park that has black powder shooting. Our crew impression is that of colonial Louisiana Spanish Royal Artillery. I need the list of Spanish commands, in Spanish and with help in pronunciation and what each command means to make our impression more authentic. Can anyone help me on this?

"Orders? We ain't got no orders.
We don't need no orders.
I don't have to show you any stinkin' orders!
Light the fuse Juan."

"Los pedidos? Es que no tiene ninguna orden.
No necesitamos ninguna orden.
Yo no tengo que demostrar que los órdenes ningún stinkin!
Encender la mecha Juan ".

[youtube]VqomZQMZQCQ[/youtube]
That'll have to do until someone comes along with what to say. :grin:

Spanish Cannon Commands; Load= Carga--Ready=Listo--Fire=Fuego--The primer has failed= La cartilla ha fallado--Do not advance= No haga avanza (no avanza) . In spanish e's sound like large a's and i's sound like large e's. Two l's together have an elya sound. An n with a squiggly line on top sounds like enya. Hope this helps, my memory is going fast. George. P.S. A's are always small.

We go to St. Augustine, Florida every year. I eventually want to volunteer at the Castillo De San Marcos and be on the cannon crew. If I remember correctly, Google National Park Service Spanish 1728 Cannon Drill and it should come up for you. I have printed it out and moved it to index cards so that I can go ahead and learn them. :thumbsup:

Ah but are you using South American Spanish OR should the commands be in Castellano, aka Castillian Spanish? After all the officer giving the commands would have been an Oficial y Caballero (officer and gentleman)? :grin:

An excellent point of contact concerning the Spaniards in North America during the time of the revolution is...
Hector L. Diaz at [email protected]
for:
ӢGeneral information about The Fixed Regiment of Spanish Louisiana
ӢGeneral information or questions about the Infantry of the Line, Grenadiers, Light Infantry, Cavalry, or Corsairs of The Fixed Regiment of Spanish Louisiana

He's a true gentleman, and may actually have a source for proper artillery commands for the Spanish.

LD

How long did it take for American Spanish to have developed? Already by the 1770s regional American English was being developed. However, military or other formal language use was used in specialized circumstance. I know in the navy we used a lot of out of the ordinary speach, and we use a special language in the medical world.
Even after local language changed archaic commands might have been in use :idunno:

I think that the lack of purchasing of a commission in Spain (unlike in England), meant that all of the officers had to have come from Nobility..., thus they are going to speak and command in what they considered "proper Spanish" based on their education, so probably going to be Castillian. In Germany there was High and Low German, Belgium had French and Flemish, in Spain there was Castillian, Catalan, Galacian, and a tiny area where they spoke Basque.

LD

Back