• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

southgate rifle

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hellaswt - might you give me descriptions for your #672 & #686? I am finishing up a smallish booklet, about 80 pages,on Royland Southgate.
I desperately wanted one when I was 12, and that Rifleman article came out. Just didn't have the $$ ten!

Hello, I realize this site is not permitted for selling items. Therefore, Can anyone direct me to the best source to find a new home for my R Southgate flintlock #208. Thx.

Hello, I realize this site is not permitted for selling items. Therefore, Can anyone direct me to the best source to find a new home for my R Southgate flintlock #208. Thx.
In order to place an ad in the Classified Ad sections, you need to be a member for over 14 days and you need to make at least 5 posts.

From what I see, you meet the time requirement and you need to make at least 2 additional posts. Once you do this, you can go to the Classified Ad area and make your ad.
Please read the rules that are located up towards the top of the index page.

Royland Southgate Information Clearinghouse. | Facebook
Hello all! Check this page out. I am trying to warehouse as much Royland Southgate info as possible. I would prefer it be a clearing house of pictures, data, and locations. I have 4 of Southgate's rifles. I would have 40 if I wanted to be single....Anyway, I would much appreciate anyone with a Southgate, drop by with a few pics, details, serial #, signatures pics, and general location

One Rifle a 40 cal came to New Zealand, Owner a Mr Scott he's dead now probably been in the 1970s He hunted in the Ruahine's N of Wellington but somehow got mad at it & broke it no idea number but perhaps of passing interest. He shot a lot of deer as then as now there are no closed seasons on deer .And they where plenty full
Rudyard

BW Southgate pistol, blind at time of build.View attachment 36537View attachment 36538View attachment 36539 Always marked CSA.

I own the first of the large frame pistols he made , the first of the small frames and the small frame he made for my dad . He was Pap to me , my paternal grandfather . I owned the tooling to make these until a dope head broke in the shop and stole them for dope money . Is that one Steel framed or Aluminum , cant tell from the picture .

Eddie

Pictures of uncle Royland and one of him and aunt Marge . The color picture is him and Fleming Williams after a deer hunt . Fleming was the sheriff of Williamson County Tennessee for years . Uncle Royland built Fleming's ugly rifle but it was built to suit Fleming not Royland and not signed or numbered.

Attachments

• Royland & Margaret Southgate-1944.jpg
    Royland & Margaret Southgate-1944.jpg
    57.8 KB · Views: 72
  • RS Madison shop circa 1950.jpg
    RS Madison shop circa 1950.jpg
    170.3 KB · Views: 99
  • South & Williams newspaper photo-Nov 1963.jpg
    South & Williams newspaper photo-Nov 1963.jpg
    238.5 KB · Views: 71
  • Uncle Royland 4.jpg
    Uncle Royland 4.jpg
    100.8 KB · Views: 84
  • Uncle Royland 1.jpg
    Uncle Royland 1.jpg
    115.4 KB · Views: 68
This is a rifle built I think in the 70's for Frank Lee one of his best friends . Franks son now has the rifle .

Attachments

• R. Southgate Rifle built for Frank Lee.jpg
    R. Southgate Rifle built for Frank Lee.jpg
    95.6 KB · Views: 93
  • Royland and Frank Lee  with rifle.jpg
    Royland and Frank Lee with rifle.jpg
    123.8 KB · Views: 97
Eddie,
This pistol is steel framed. I knew Bailly better than Royland when I lived in Nashville in the 70's. The pistol was gifted to me by Mac Carney a couple of years ago.
Mark

Mark,
I knew the Carneys when I was a kid . Surprised I don't recognize your name , I spent a good amount of time in his shop behind the House on Elvira or at his old shop on Gallatin Road with Charlie . The family always called me Butch .

Eddie,
I do remember, very briefly, seeing you a few times, probably at the range if not the shop.
Mark

One Rifle a 40 cal came to New Zealand, Owner a Mr Scott he's dead now probably been in the 1970s He hunted in the Ruahine's N of Wellington but somehow got mad at it & broke it no idea number but perhaps of passing interest. He shot a lot of deer as then as now there are no closed seasons on deer .And they where plenty full
Rudyard

Was he a government hunter ? I know he built one for a guy in either New Zealand or Australia that shot deer and other nuisance animals for the government . Guy shot so many deer with a bolt gun that he wanted the ml to put some element of sport in it .

Eddie

#369. Purchased from AJ White of Shoshoni Wy on memorial day 2021. It passed my inspection and appears to have very little if any use so I'm inclined to take it out and see how she shoots.

Attachments

• 20210605_092455.jpg
    20210605_092455.jpg
    67.4 KB · Views: 55
  • 20210705_162447.jpg
    20210705_162447.jpg
    68.6 KB · Views: 57
  • 20210705_162454.jpg
    20210705_162454.jpg
    49.3 KB · Views: 53
  • 20210705_162454.jpg
    20210705_162454.jpg
    49.3 KB · Views: 51
Was he a government hunter ? I know he built one for a guy in either New Zealand or Australia that shot deer and other nuisance animals for the government . Guy shot so many deer with a bolt gun that he wanted the ml to put some element of sport in it .

Eddie

No He wasn't a govt Deer culler or if he was he never mentioned it. But there was a lot of deer in his area at that time .His name was Hu
gh Scot the rifle was a 40 cal Cap lock I believe I could check on that .Dos
'nt sound like Australia I don't think deer where considered a pest like they where & still are in NZ. hope that helps .I made him a shortened, put to cap Lancaster years, ago he wasn't a flintlock devotee
Rudyard

Back