• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Southern Style Percussion

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I picked up this rifle at an estate sale this past weekend. Does anyone recognize or know of this builder? Gun is a Southern Style with a 45 “ barrel, caliber is a .425 , with percussion lock , no markings on lock but barrel has J With a weird C if that is what it is and J M D. Thank you in advance for any help.
1B3ECA35-0BDB-4E89-AA6D-7E30E2A38CC1.jpeg
91498924-E0D2-4FA7-B44E-D5D69976E27F.jpeg
DC5BBBAA-3A9A-489C-B414-DB472FBD891F.jpeg
A75DDD35-AB57-45D2-8B9C-12DCDEA3CE13.jpeg
5314D25F-0852-4545-80EB-F97F42959402.jpeg
4E441F30-9790-491F-B376-C0ABCB05162B.jpeg
78F837DF-7D31-49A8-BE98-E91CD2CCC7BF.jpeg
3E62EE95-41B0-4A0A-9BC2-476A3D5B48D0.jpeg
85F44037-A865-4891-9933-061AA3EE1DD9.jpeg
A035F74A-BA04-491F-9B2B-C058DD307C26.jpeg

Yes sir. It is a neat old gun. I imagine it was a flintlock at one time and was converted from the way the lock doesn't fit correctly. The old gun cleaned up good.

What a wonderful find ! !

"J * C" might be an old-time gunmaker, J. M. Caswell, of Lansingburg, NY - the only "J C" in Ned Robert's partial listing of old time rifle makers ( The Muzzle-loading Cap Lock Rifle).

The same listing has two "J D" names, but neither with the middle name/initial of "M".

What a wonderful find ! !

"J * C" might be an old-time gunmaker, J. M. Caswell, of Lansingburg, NY - the only "J C" in Ned Robert's partial listing of old time rifle makers ( The Muzzle-loading Cap Lock Rifle).

The same listing has two "J D" names, but neither with the middle name/initial of "M".
Thank you . I appreciate any information. Your info is much appreciated.

The rifle looks very much like a Tennessee rifle with its iron mountings, banana shaped iron patchbox, and initialed barrel. The gunmaker probably had the initials "J M D" while the original owner had the initials "C M." That is the traditional way to read this type of initialed barrel. There is still a lot for collectors to learn about Tennessee rifles; we do not know who all the makers are, and cannot identify all the different initials that have appeared on rifles. You have a good quality, iron mounted rifle probably from eastern Tennessee, but similar guns were made in the Appalachian Mountain areas of western North Carolina, southwestern Virginia, and perhaps northwestern South Carolina and southeastern Kentucky, all part of the hill country culture that made rather similar rifles. You could get the best, most knowledgeable help with identifying your rifle if you took it to the annual Tennessee Kentucky Rifle Show on the north edge of Knoxville just off I-75 next April. You can probably Google the name and find the show and its dates for next year. That's where the experts on this type of rifle congregate once a year, and they all love to see fresh, new rifles and help the owners with them. Shelby Gallien

The rifle looks very much like a Tennessee rifle with its iron mountings, banana shaped iron patchbox, and initialed barrel. The gunmaker probably had the initials "J M D" while the original owner had the initials "C M." That is the traditional way to read this type of initialed barrel. There is still a lot for collectors to learn about Tennessee rifles; we do not know who all the makers are, and cannot identify all the different initials that have appeared on rifles. You have a good quality, iron mounted rifle probably from eastern Tennessee, but similar guns were made in the Appalachian Mountain areas of western North Carolina, southwestern Virginia, and perhaps northwestern South Carolina and southeastern Kentucky, all part of the hill country culture that made rather similar rifles. You could get the best, most knowledgeable help with identifying your rifle if you took it to the annual Tennessee Kentucky Rifle Show on the north edge of Knoxville just off I-75 next April. You can probably Google the name and find the show and its dates for next year. That's where the experts on this type of rifle congregate once a year, and they all love to see fresh, new rifles and help the owners with them. Shelby Gallien
Thank you Shelby . Much appreciated. I doubt I can make it out to the Tennessee show but you never can tell. I have been wanting to to to Knoxville for a long time. Next year might be the year. I live in Texas. Again thank you for the info.

Back