• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

southern rifle,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
thank you gentlemen for all the kind words, and advice, it is really a pleasure to be here,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

And it’s a pleasure to have you, olskool! :)

I personally think curly ash is just about the prettiest wood around for longrifles. It seems to have a unique, wavy grain that sets it apart from the normal maple crowd (which is also lovely).

That's a very fine looking rifle; you scored a nice one. Ash is an interesting stock wood and the grain patterns can be gorgeous.

That is beautiful wood and grain. In 1995 I found two pieces of what the person called fish scale ash just like the one in your rifle. My friend and I built a .62 full stock hawked with the first piece and it has served him well for 24 years of hunting, some target shooting. It is almost the same color as yours. He made the stain for his rifle and mine. I'm still in the process of building the same rifle. We purchased two two 1 1/8" x 36" Ed Rayl barrels, two Siler Large Hawken flintlocks, and I think two L&R Hawken triggers. Our friend hand forged the trigger guards and butt plates. I'm trying to find a photo of his rifle.
Very nice rifle you have.
Mike

Ohhhhh- be still my heart...........wheah I come from- there's only one wuud foa that rifle - gawgis, simply gawgis.

Its grain run with any wood even hickory in loading rods. Hickory is about as tough a wood as there is for ax handles and loading rods but the grain has to be straight and not run out to the side. The angular grain is not good any where on a rifle stock but especially so through the wrist as this is the weakest part of the stock. It will be fine though, properly reinforced. A hickory dowel bedded through the wrist works just like a limb growing through a piece of wood your trying to split with an axe. It's just about impossible to make it split with the grain run.
Didn’t know about dowel repair. Thanks

Back