• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Southern mountain rifle - correct furniture

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jon8777

32 Cal
Reaction score
I am looking at several southern mountain rifle kits. Most of the builds/builders appear to sell alot of variations of the maple stock.

I was reading/hearing that maple stocks are not typical a "southern" thing. Tyipcaly maple stocks were a pennsylvania and north chioce of stocks.

Was I hearing this incorrectly?

I'd guess SMR's had the native woods growing right there in the mountains! Very basic, they used what they could make or get with no UPS service! Not to be funny, but the great people living in Appalachia were very self-sufficient and couldn't order out to Dixie or Pecatonica! One of the great folk images is that of them making their own corn liquor; I think many still appreciate the independence this represented. Just sayin' in MHO.

Maple was quite common on Southern Mountain rifles, as was Walnut. Either is a proper choice. Furniture was predominately iron. Southern Mountain rifles had English locks. So if the kit you're considering has a Germanic lock, like a Siler, it's not what was used. I've never seen a photo of, or read of, a Southern Mountain gun that didn't have an English lock. They also had swamped barrels, which most kits do not have. Swamped barrels make all the difference in the world when it comes to handling and shooting.

I'm not very knowledgeable when it comes to all of the kits available, but I do know that many of them come with straight barrels and Germanic locks.

Southern Mountain rifles are dear to my heart; and mostly what I build. I wouldn't call myself an expert, but I do know a thing or two about them. And I tend to be pretty opinionated. If I didn't roll my own, I would be shooting a Kibler Southern Mountain rifle. The extra money is well worth it when it comes to the finished product.

It's no small investment in money and time. The most important thing is having a gun you're happy with years from now.

Bean family built several on beech. And I saw one unsigned on a fruit wood, apple or pear. I’ve read a few are known in cherry, but I’ve not seen an original on cherry
Brass,silver and mixed metal is also seen

Maple was quite common on Southern Mountain rifles, as was Walnut. Either is a proper choice. Furniture was predominately iron. Southern Mountain rifles had English locks. So if the kit you're considering has a Germanic lock, like a Siler, it's not what was used. I've never seen a photo of, or read of, a Southern Mountain gun that didn't have an English lock. They also had swamped barrels, which most kits do not have. Swamped barrels make all the difference in the world when it comes to handling and shooting.

I'm not very knowledgeable when it comes to all of the kits available, but I do know that many of them come with straight barrels and Germanic locks.

Southern Mountain rifles are dear to my heart; and mostly what I build. I wouldn't call myself an expert, but I do know a thing or two about them. And I tend to be pretty opinionated. If I didn't roll my own, I would be shooting a Kibler Southern Mountain rifle. The extra money is well worth it when it comes to the finished product.

It's no small investment in money and time. The most important thing is having a gun you're happy with years from now.
I have been looking at KSMR for a long time. With his sale going on I keep thinking it's about time I buy one.

I just can't settle on the wood

Bean family built several on beech. And I saw one unsigned on a fruit wood, apple or pear. I’ve read a few are known in cherry, but I’ve not seen an original on cherry

Cherry is definitely out for a stock, not a fan of it

But cherry looks of so good with the Jax Black hardware, light and strong, what is not to like?
Not my gun, but I just bought one like it.

Attachments

• IMG_2015.jpeg
    IMG_2015.jpeg
    251.8 KB · Views: 0
My custom-made SMR is by far my favorite. Walnut stock with hand-forged iron
Furniture. It's not a fancy gun but it's very well-made and shoots superbly.

Good read. I have a 2 Kibler SMR's. 1 in walnut and 1 in cherry. The walnut 45 cal. is a tack driver. 2nd most accurate ML I have. The cherry is a .36 cal. Fair on accuracy, so not what I call a tack driver, however not bad. For a person who wants to build their own and doesn't have much experience, Kibler is the way to go. In short, Kibler makes a very good rifle which seems fairly historically accurate that is easy to assemble. Kibler 'Quick Ship Kits' can go for about 1k delivered if you're quick enough to grab one. With the cost of parts now days, that price tag isn't bad. Semper Fi.

My custom-made SMR is by far my favorite. Walnut stock with hand-forged iron
Furniture. It's not a fancy gun but it's very well-made and shoots superbly.
At some point I would like to build my own from scratch, but until I know enough to make the right choices I am going to stick with a decent kit.

Good read. I have a 2 Kibler SMR's. 1 in walnut and 1 in cherry. The walnut 45 cal. is a tack driver. 2nd most accurate ML I have. The cherry is a .36 cal. Fair on accuracy, so not what I call a tack driver, however not bad. For a person who wants to build their own and doesn't have much experience, Kibler is the way to go. In short, Kibler makes a very good rifle which seems fairly historically accurate that is easy to assemble. Kibler 'Quick Ship Kits' can go for about 1k delivered if you're quick enough to grab one. With the cost of parts now days, that price tag isn't bad. Semper Fi.
I picked up a 45 cal tc a few years back from a local guy. I wasn't really interested in the caliber, but it came with all the original casting equipment for rb's and mb's so it was hard to pass up.

I took a doe with it and needless to say I was extremely impressed with the results of a 45 cal.

I am sure most of you will remember the manufacturer of this Southern Mountain flintlock. I bought it personally new in the late 80's from Ted Hatfield, St. Josephs, Missouri. There were 3 demonstrator rifles on the firing line. Two were earlier Hatfields and the third was a Pedersoli bbl. rifle with a select Hatfield stock and double set triggers. All 50 cal. I shot all 3 and was astounded by the repeated accuracy of the latter with a 70 gr. load! 100yds all in the black. The earlier ones could not come close. Obviously the Pedersoli bbl. was a select special accurate test bbl. Magnificent stock. I fell in love with the graceful lines. I offered to buy it with a replacement inner coned insert that was a new option at that time. This option required a Lock/bbl. modification. 3 weeks later I received it at home in Texas. I have no idea how many rounds went through it on the Hatfield firing line...but I put well over 150 rounds since and the incredible accuracy continued. Yes, I could compete with shooting against modern open sight rifles at 100 yds. using a rest. Years ago I contemplated selling it but to this date cannot depart with it. My over 80 year old eyes may change my mind someday.

IMG_6300.jpg
IMG_6301.jpg
IMG_6296.jpg

IMG_6300.jpg

IMG_6301.jpg

IMG_6296.jpg

IMG_6300.jpg

IMG_6301.jpg

IMG_6296.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
The Kibler is based off an original. It is also the easiest to put together. Every other kit on the market is more difficult and some of the quality and customer support is not the best.
So if you want a gun that will hold it's value. In my opinion the Kibler is the way to go. JMHO

Continuing the #14 Hatfield post above: My grandson shot this old Hatfield 4 years ago...45 yds., using a rest, not handheld. 70 gr. .495 ball, pillow ticking. I could not do that anymore:
IMG_6302.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
The Kibler is based off an original. It is also the easiest to put together. Every other kit on the market is more difficult and some of the quality and customer support is not the best.
So if you want a gun that will hold it's value. In my opinion the Kibler is the way to go. JMHO
That was part of my thoughts on a Kibler that I had a good chance of holding more value that another kit manufacturer.

I picked up a 45 cal tc a few years back from a local guy. I wasn't really interested in the caliber, but it came with all the original casting equipment for rb's and mb's so it was hard to pass up.

I took a doe with it and needless to say I was extremely impressed with the results of a 45 cal.
.45 cal. is underrated. One of the best shots I ever made was with my .45 cal. It was Dec. 26. 1st day of flintlock season here in Pa. I stepped off my porch into 2 foot of snow and it was coming down to close to white out conditions. I went turned left, over the mountain and into the back country. After a few miles I came over a ridge. There was a buck and a doe in some mountain laurels 125 yards away. With the thick forest, the snow was lighter. The buck was face on rubbing his antlers in the branches of the mountain laurel. I had a target about the size of a tea plate. I took aim and shot. The buck ran on 3 legs about 30 yards and fell. The ball went into his chest just off to the right and a tad high, bounced off the spine midway through the body then ricocheted down and broke the femur on the way out the butt and kept going. Made a mess out of the tenderloins, but it is what it is. .440 ball, .015 oiled patch and 50grs FFFG. I personally like a .45 cal. low recoil and not much smoke at 50grs. Contrary to popular belief, you don't need 100gr powder to try to make it a 30-06.
Semper Fi.

Back