Southern flatland longhunter

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

Reaction score
My persona:

I was born in Charlestown Carolina around 1700. I apprenticed in my fathers dry goods concern, but I had the wander lust, so I migrated south looking for fur and trade in the 1730’s. I crossed the Altamaka river and began trading with the Spanish, Crow, and other colonial’s moving south into Florida. In time I built a good business. I own and operate a dry goods store and fur trading company in Fort St Andrews Georgia. I am reasonably successful, often leading my good company of hunters/skinners deep into Spanish Florida. I find good hunting and good trade among the Cimarrones.

Attachments

• 5E052F75-90A2-4B9F-BED2-F486B43732FA.jpeg
    5E052F75-90A2-4B9F-BED2-F486B43732FA.jpeg
    1,008 KB · Views: 0
Reaction score
During that time period there was a lot of fighting between the Oglethorpe settlers and the Spanish. Mostly Scottish Highlander that were place in the area to act like a border guard to keep the Spanish in Florida.
The Battle of Bloody Marsh being the main battle the Spanish lost. This in turn caused rapid growth along the Georgia and Florida coast. Oldest city in the United States is St. Augustine that the Spanish built. The St John’s River gave easy access to the Florida interior.
The Spanish generally destroyed any trading post during that time A time of danger and death that doesn’t get discussed much. There still have re-enactments at Fort King George every year that you may can use in your persona.

Reaction score
I have visited St Augustine several times. Anyone who has a chance to visit you won’t be disappointed. There is much more than the fort, and the fort is excellent! It was made from Coquina shell deposits. A unique form of sand stone.

Reaction score
Shadowalker164 have you ever been to an event at Fort King George?

The seashell buildings on the coast are made out of crushed shells, lime, sand and water. This mixture is then poured into forms to build the structures.

Reaction score
Ames, I used this… Keda dye it is a 5 color sample pack. I tried lots of combinations but in the end went with their golden brown all by itself. One coat of stain, 5 coats of Truoil

Attachments

• 4DC65B47-D442-4229-8F76-574237D6B9F7.jpeg
    4DC65B47-D442-4229-8F76-574237D6B9F7.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 0
  • FE8F7F42-6080-4ECE-9BC1-0552115ADFCF.jpeg
    FE8F7F42-6080-4ECE-9BC1-0552115ADFCF.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 0

Rancocas

45 Cal.
Reaction score
My persona:

I was born in Charlestown Carolina around 1700. I apprenticed in my fathers dry goods concern, but I had the wander lust, so I migrated south looking for fur and trade in the 1730’s. I crossed the Altamaka river and began trading with the Spanish, Crow, and other colonial’s moving south into Florida. In time I built a good business. I own and operate a dry goods store and fur trading company in Fort St Andrews Georgia. I am reasonably successful, often leading my good company of hunters/skinners deep into Spanish Florida. I find good hunting and good trade among the Cimarrones.

I think you meant to write Creek. The Crow are a western tribe. I'm not familiar with the "Cimarrones", unless you mean the Seminoles. There is, of course, the Cimarron River of present day New Mexico and Oklahoma. The "Cimarron Cutoff" was a shortcut on the old Santa Fe Trail. But, that was a much later time period.
Ft. St. Andrews was on Cumberland Island, Georgia. It was built in 1736 as a buffer between the English up in Charlestown and the Spanish down in St. Augustine. However, it was only in existence for about 6 years. It was abandoned in 1742 and destroyed by the Spanish. So, that doesn't give you much time to build up a business there.
Charlestown, SC. was founded about 1680, so you're good there.

():~)

Reaction score
Rancocas, thanks. I didn’t know that about Ft St Andrews. This persona is clearly a work in progress. I know Florida was ceded to England for a while in 1764. And Georgia declared a British colony in 1732. I will search for a South Georgia settlement that the Spanish didn’t attack.
My research mentioned Crow migrating into Florida, I am sure the Creek did as well. The word Cimarrones was the Spanish name for all indigenous peoples, blacks fleeing slavery, and white renegades. The word meant “the wild ones” in Spanish.

Reaction score
Most Georgia settlements were up the Savannah River with Augusta. From there the settlers started moving west. Also you will need to remember that most of the indigenous peoples died from diseases that De Sota and his army spread all over the area as they moved from Florida up through Georgia then Alabama looking for gold. Unknown to them the group passed the gold deposits around the area of Dahlonega.
Anyhow must of the early traders left Augusta. The government at the time gave permission for trading to control what the indigenous received.

Reaction score
The fort at St. Augustine is a must-see if you're in Florida. It's made out of seashells and mortar very ingenious considering they are many rocks there.
The largest and most abundant rocks there are actually the lbedded layers of compresses coquina shells that were quarried take the Castillo San Marcos. Durable enough to last over 300 years, but soft enough to be able to be shaped and faced using a woodcutter's ax... and it simply absorbed the cannonballs from Moore's fleet in 1702 and Oglethorpe's in 1740 like cheese, instead of cracking and crumbling like the hard stone walls of other forts did.