• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Southern Cornbread

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yep... Biscuits are something else. I have never been able to get them right.

My paternal grandmother was the best biscuit chef I've ever known. She had a very large, oblong wooden "trencher" that she kept full of self-rising flour. She would drop a hunk of lard in it, work it with her hands, then pour in buttermilk and work it some more, then start forming biscuits. She never measured anything, and everything that woman cooked came out perfect. My Aunt Thelma inherited that wooden trencher as well as the art of making biscuits. She made them just like my grandmother. Dang, those were good.

Thanks again for the cornbread recipe! When Mama's happy, everybody's happy!

Notchy Bob

PS: I have happy memories of southwest Virginia. I used to play guitar and then banjo in an old-time band in the seventies and eighties. We went up there every summer to spend several weeks, hunting up old fiddlers and attending the fiddler's conventions in Independence, Sugar Grove, Mount Airy (in North Carolina, but close to the border), and Galax. Those were fun times.

I went to the 86th Galax Old Time Fiddler's Convention two weeks ago. They are still making good old mountain music there. Independence is my county seat.

I use Martha White's Self Rize cornmeal and the recipe on the bag. It come out just fine.

Back