• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Southern Cornbread

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Thought id share this if anyone were looking for recipe. This is an old recipe from Southwest Virginia. It is not sweet and uses no sugar but boy is it good. Has a grainy taste to it. Nothing like your store bought mixes. It is most excellent right out of the oven. I will cut a few hunks, wrap them in linen, and store it away in my haversack. I do find that it dries out fairly quickly this way over a few days out of doors. My remedy for this is to fry up my salt pork on the fire then I put a hunk of the bread in the grease from the pork and just crisp up each side. It makes a fine breakfast, at least by my standards, when I'm in camp or the woods. Let me know if you like it. If you can't read the photo I can type it out.
James

20220204_080432.jpg

You are welcome. Like I said if you can't read that I can type it out. Not sure if everyone can zoom in on it. The trickiest thing is finding the corn meal. Alot of modern groceries dont carry it. I am fortunate to have a local dairy/country store( you know the kind that sells the orange candy slices) nearby that carries it.
James

20220204_084000.jpg

Looks like a great recipe, sounds similar to one of my grandmothers. She would make her cornbread in a cast-iron cornpone pan. Those cornbread sticks were always great for hunting. My grandfather was a carpenter and a preacher, and always seemed to have a few cornbread sticks packed away in his lunchbox.

You are welcome. Like I said if you can't read that I can type it out. Not sure if everyone can zoom in on it. The trickiest thing is finding the corn meal. Alot of modern groceries dont carry it. I am fortunate to have a local dairy/country store( you know the kind that sells the orange candy slices) nearby that carries it.
James

View attachment 119677

Typing would be great, it's hard to read, even with my magnifier glasses.

My apologies. Here ya are!

-Place 1/2 cup of veg. Oil in cast iron skillet. Place in oven set at 400 degrees.

-Start the cornbread mixture in a metal bowl.

-2 cups plain white cornmeal( not self rising)

-Add 1/2 cup of plain flour.

-Add 1/2 teaspoon salt.

- Add 3/4 teaspoon baking soda and stir up the dry ingredients.

- Pour the hot oil into the dry mix.

-Add 1-1/2 cups of buttermilk.

-Mixture needs to be consistency of cake batter. Add water if too thick.

-Stir mix with a wooden spoon and pour back into skillet.

- Place in 400 degree oven for 20- 30 minutes. Check center with toothpick to see if it's done.

Note: I have never had to add water as the consistency always seamed ok. Also I am usually checking with a toothpick around 15 mins so as to not over bake it.

James

Corn bread is a special gift from above. I bake my own 'bout every other week. Don't care for , HER , cornbread either. I probably am breaking every rule about corn bread ,well , don't tell but , 3/4 cup of that evil sugar goes in mine. That , and butter , makes anything edible.

The trickiest thing is finding the corn meal.
Ahhhhhh, but not if you grow your own. We grow red, yellow and blue. Used to grind it by hand but now I cheat and have a mill that hooks into the front of a stand mixer. Grind it fresh into a mason jar anytime the mood strikes.
Heres a bit of it in the kitchen. I keep 20 or more pounds vacuum sealed in the freezer. Keeps indefinitely until you mill it.
Goes great with a little home-grown honey too.🥴

Attachments

• DSCN0911.JPG
    DSCN0911.JPG
    149.6 KB · Views: 27
All due respects, but I about choked when I saw ingredient number two..
No South-born woman or man around these parts would let it be known that she had defiled her cornbread with wheat flour. All it would lack is a little sugar making it a Yankee acceptable bread.
Dave

Man, your killin’ me smalls. One of my favorite carbalitious foods. Like @oldwood , my recipe has sugar in it. And I haven’t tried making it with the hot oil. Maybe a special treat for spring turkey hunting in the dutch oven. All kidding aside thanks for the recipe, and it reads fine. No need to type.

Back