• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

southern civil war fighting knife? maybe,,,,,,,,,,,

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
i posted this knife on here a while back, i believed it to be a southern fighting knife from the civil war. with help from a couple of friends i have had it authenticated. it was taken to the civil war relic show near me in Charleston SC and authenticated by 2 knife experts of knives of that time period. then another friend on this forum showed the photos to another expert and he said it was most likely from 1840-1860s the story i got was it was found in a 200 year old barn or building in Kentucky. you can see in the blade where it was most likley made from and old file. and it has a antler handle, oh if all the old things could talk,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Attachments

• _MG_5684.JPG
    _MG_5684.JPG
    93.1 KB · Views: 289
  • _MG_5685.JPG
    _MG_5685.JPG
    101.5 KB · Views: 301
  • _MG_5686.JPG
    _MG_5686.JPG
    304.2 KB · Views: 318
  • _MG_5687.JPG
    _MG_5687.JPG
    244.4 KB · Views: 315
  • _MG_5688.JPG
    _MG_5688.JPG
    272.7 KB · Views: 313
  • _MG_5689.JPG
    _MG_5689.JPG
    232.3 KB · Views: 306
  • _MG_5690.JPG
    _MG_5690.JPG
    183.2 KB · Views: 291
  • _MG_5691.JPG
    _MG_5691.JPG
    195.9 KB · Views: 297
  • _MG_5692.JPG
    _MG_5692.JPG
    189.5 KB · Views: 296
  • _MG_5693.JPG
    _MG_5693.JPG
    164.2 KB · Views: 276
you are lucky to find a knife in great shape,,,weather its very old or just old who cares,,its a nice find

I found 2 knives in an old barn, built in the early 1900s. Neither one was in as good condition as yours.

I'd like to know when your knife was found, and where specifically in the barn was it found. It is exceptionally clean to have weathered 150+ years.

Either way it is a nice blade, but as the saying goes, I'd search for more light.

Not to pop your bubble, but.....lets take a critical look.
What kind of preservative was on that blade to keep it from rusting, 100 years old with no sign of use and no pitting on the blade. That was some very very good grease. I would expect to see some pits in a knife half that age.
If it was used it might be pit free but it would have been sharpened, where are the signs of the grindstone.
Laid in a barn but the bugs and rodents didn't chew on the handle, very kind of them.
I know of several knife makers that could age a knife to look like that and look even older (that cross guard is also a little suspect)
Regardless, it IS a nice looking knife but I seriously doubt if it has any age on it to speak of, but that is no reason not to enjoy using it.
Ducking now for the incoming.

this knife in a barn,,,was it covered with something,,,the rats or squirrels would have eaten the handle away my thought, all and all it is a good looking knife

Not to pop your bubble, but.....lets take a critical look.
What kind of preservative was on that blade to keep it from rusting, 100 years old with no sign of use and no pitting on the blade. That was some very very good grease. I would expect to see some pits in a knife half that age.
If it was used it might be pit free but it would have been sharpened, where are the signs of the grindstone.
Laid in a barn but the bugs and rodents didn't chew on the handle, very kind of them.
I know of several knife makers that could age a knife to look like that and look even older (that cross guard is also a little suspect)
Regardless, it IS a nice looking knife but I seriously doubt if it has any age on it to speak of, but that is no reason not to enjoy using it.
Ducking now for the incoming.
not busting my bubble brother. i agree, if something looks to good to be true it probably is! but as i said i am no expert on blades, i just like them. but some folks that claim to know said it looked real to them, and they held it in there hands and didn't go by photos. either way it is cool,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Definitely a cool knife either way. If it were mine I’d have to pair it with an appropriate muzzleloader and put it to work.

Those guys that claim to know can find that cross guard at TOTW, and the black gunk can easily be made with a few items if your interested. Bleach can be used to age a blade and that would have helped that one. I seriously question the claim to know guys credentials and if they do not know their stuff, doesn't matter how long they held it.
Go look at some knives made by Jack Hubbard, Hershel House etc. and see what guys who know how to age stuff can make a knife look old.
Again, not trying to be a downer, but it is just not right.

And again, that is no reason not to enjoy it.

It might have been in a drawer in a House or secreted somewhere before it made it to the Barn?

I bought a couple of Daggers from a Old Woman with things to sell in Romainia back in 99. I bought them because they looked old and I liked them,$5 the pair. When I returned to London I showed them to a renown Antique dealer who held them for a while as one of his clients was an expert in such things. In his expert opinion the Daggers dated from the early 16th Century .

Neither has seen much use,who knows where and how they were stored.

yea when you look at this knife up close and under a magnifier it looks the part. but i am no expert. i will say this it came from a man who was a knife dealer for 30 years, he claimed it was real, and everybody else that has held it in there hand said it was real. only people that has seen a photo and has not claimed to be an expert said it was fake. so who knows,,,,,,,,,,

For this knife to be in this good of shape it would have to be 100% iron or slag iron as it has no carbon to rust.

Latest posts

Back