• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

southern civil war fighting knife? maybe,,,,,,,,,,,

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Mmmm, rust is an iron oxide. Carbon has nothing to do with rust. It is not what makes iron form rust. Oxygen and neglect cause iron and steel to rust.
Thats the splitting of hairs that I do not understand.

Have you ever walked along your old town square and seen the old 200 year old houses that have the old original rod iron fences with a little pitting but over all still in perfect shape as they were 150 years ago. That's because they are made of pure iron with no carbon in it. It can not rust until you add carbon to make it steel.

Once you add carbon to iron it will now rust regardless of what point of technical description a person tries to conger up.

Once you add carbon to iron it will now rust regardless of what point of technical description a person tries to conger up.
There is no splitting hairs on anything. If anyone "congered" anything up, it would have to be God himself when he laid out the laws of physics and chemistry. Carbon has nothing directly to do with rust. Iron will rust. Carbon or no carbon. The iron you are talking about is not pure iron at all. Not even close. You are referring to wrought iron which is iron full of stringy fiber like slag, an impurity. It is resistant to corroding, but it does rust, just not as fast as pure clean iron or clean steel. Pure iron will rust until it is consumed to nothing but oxide powder given enough time. It just takes longer. Oxygen and water attack iron, and is very rude about it all. It does not ask the iron if it has carbon or not. It simply attacks. Rust builds up, flakes off, new iron is exposed, and the process continues until only oxide dust remains.

There is no splitting hairs on anything. If anyone "congered" anything up, it would have to be God himself when he laid out the laws of physics and chemistry. Carbon has nothing directly to do with rust. Iron will rust. Carbon or no carbon. The iron you are talking about is not pure iron at all. Not even close. You are referring to wrought iron which is iron full of stringy fiber like slag, an impurity. It is resistant to corroding, but it does rust, just not as fast as pure clean iron or clean steel. Pure iron will rust until it is consumed to nothing but oxide powder given enough time. It just takes longer. Oxygen and water attack iron, and is very rude about it all. It does not ask the iron if it has carbon or not. It simply attacks. Rust builds up, flakes off, new iron is exposed, and the process continues until only oxide dust remains.
Umm, not that big of deal to me. I was wasting give minutes on here while taking a dump and gave a quick and simple answer, dident plan on arguing and splitting hairs on a simple answer. Good answer though, thanks. When I give another simple answer while taking a dump I will private message you to make sure it's ok with you.
Was just picking my nose and wondering, can you normalize slag iron?

I have a genuine barn find 1847 Springfield flintlock converted to percussion (bolster type) that came from Virginia. The guy who gave it to me is the grandson of the farm owner. The farm has been in the family since the late 1700s. His grandfather told him that gun was in the barn his whole life so I know that puts it around 1910 minimum. The point is, the guns s wreck! It's a Relic. There's heavy pitting on every part of the gun. The wood is punky around the lock inlet. You can't replicate that kind of aging. The knife? Like alot if people said, pretty cool blade. It would be a freak if it's authentic. Most of the genuine blades I've seen are very thin. Handles are crude and alot if times they're marked. Initials, some kind of decoration, repairs, over sharpening deforms the blade. If it don't look right, it probably ain't.

And all this about a knife lol
Not really about a knife. More about correcting a piece of false information presented as an undeniable fact, and backed up with even more false information, under the guise of being a simple factual answer, while engaging in a bowel movement. Just my opinion, but I have to say, I would believe the results of this persons toilet efforts would be of more value than his information.

Not really about a knife. More about correcting a piece of false information presented as an undeniable fact, and backed up with even more false information, under the guise of being a simple factual answer, while engaging in a bowel movement. Just my opinion, but I have to say, I would believe the results of this persons toilet efforts would be of more value than his information.
I remember there use to be a knife forum site that was enjoyed by many but then a few big time knife makers (bark river and a few guys from down under) started telling everybody how wrong their answers were and only theirs was right. All of a sudden a person could not talk or post on the forum because only the same five guys answers were right and everybody else was wrong or not at the same level as the other same five and all of a sudden over about a 2 year period people stoped posting because the super posters ran them off because nobody was as smart as them or gave the correct answer.
Now that sight no longer exists.
Yep you know your stuff and I hope others can live up to your awesome knowledge. I know I really don't want to post anymore knowing that I may get gripe slapped buy your awesome knowledge.

you know i really don't care about how old the knife is and don't care if its rusty or clean or something else,,this guy found a good looking knife,,,wish i could find such a fine,,very old ,old or new,,my hat's off to this guy who got a nice looking knife,,that's my bit of a little talk about this knife

Neat knife, but always difficult to know for sure its history. This is my 18th century penny knife. Made in 2016.

Attachments

• 20210622_151727.jpg
    20210622_151727.jpg
    219.7 KB · Views: 56
  • 20210622_151735.jpg
    20210622_151735.jpg
    136.1 KB · Views: 71
  • 20210622_151749.jpg
    20210622_151749.jpg
    235.5 KB · Views: 62
remember that RUST IS WHEN YOU ARE BUYING & AND PITINA WHEN YOU ARE SELLING!!!
Oh My. You are so right. In my days as a shooter / gunsmith / trader. The one rifle I traded that got the most attention was a Hawkin I got as a basket case. Stripped the barrel and all the metal, patched in some brass parts and an old ramrod with steel fittings. Did some browning that turned sour on me but it did look well used and ready for bear. Patina is gold in old.

Here is a knife that very well could have been around in the civil war era. It is a Joseph Allen from Sheffield England and the other side has his mark and the NON XLL stamp that he started using in 1838. Note the pitting on both the blade and cross guard and while the grip is in very good condition you can see a crack in it if you look close. Also it shows evidence of being sharpened over the years.
The sheath is a reproduction obviously, made by me for the buffalo hunt discussed in a different thread and yes, this has had buffalo blood on it.

Knife NON XLL.jpg

I found 2 knives in an old barn, built in the early 1900s. Neither one was in as good condition as yours.

I'd like to know when your knife was found, and where specifically in the barn was it found. It is exceptionally clean to have weathered 150+ years.

Either way it is a nice blade, but as the saying goes, I'd search for more light.
I see what you did there.
John

Neat knife, but always difficult to know for sure its history. This is my 18th century penny knife. Made in 2016.
penny knives filled a void back in the day when men chewed a plug of tobacco and most had no teach to bite off a CHAW, so they would cut off one. and if it got lost / misplaced it would not break the bank.

Back