• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Southern California

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Looks like this is a pretty old post the last entry was 2 years ago. I am in the Perris area of Riverside and the only range I have been able to find that still allows black powder is lytle creek firing range.Allow all black powder every day even allow cannons

Im between you guys in Corona and didnt know BP is a problem in ranges because I use an alternative. But why is this a problem?

Lived in Corona for a while

Doubt any range would differentiate between a synthetic and Holy Black. Hell, I can remember when the HBPD range would let me shoot my BP Pistols

I still dont get it. You show up at a range with a BP revolver and you do what, declare it at the office and they tell you that you cant shoot that and to leave (?) Why?

Hello - I'm in Glendale. Got a matchlock but haven't started shooting yet.
Desert Marksmen off of Angeles Forest Hwy, Black powder match 1st Sunday of the month, membership not required to attend any match. Membership $60.00 a year, ranges are open 24/7.

There is the Smokey Valley Muzzle Loaders group that meets at Burro Canyon on the fourth Sunday.

Nice bunch of old guys (and the obligtory curmudgeon or two).

Thanks, do you know where I can get details about how to attend? Can't find a good website or anything. Like what time to show up?

Desert Marksmen off of Angeles Forest Hwy, Black powder match 1st Sunday of the month, membership not required to attend any match. Membership $60.00 a year, ranges are open 24/7.

Thank you, saw it upthread, will try to be there this weekend.

Also, I called Angeles Shooting Range at Kagel Canyon and apparently they will allow a matchlock. That's closest for me so I plan to go there sometimes.

Interesting thread. I’m from SoCal originally and grew up shooting every thing including BP at the old San Gabriel Valley GC in Fish Canyon. Heck, I miss that place and I don’t live there anymore. Sounds like SoCal needs a good range.

No problem with shooting BP at Angeles Shooting Ranges except that it's rather crowded and you'd be advised to bring a screen to catch sparks from your matchlock or flintlock. The shooting benches have mounts for wire screens, normally for catching brass. Also a good idea to bring the best possible earpro... there are many tactical dudes with short barreled you-know-whats and suchlike.

Hello Everyone,
I grew up shooting in Barstow area around victorville in public land areas. Flat and cold as hell ! fun day!
Looking to head out sometime in the near future with a hopefully new to me ML

I shoot regularly at Rainbow, a small private range just outside of Temecula. About 15 minutes south of Temecula is the Pala range, up to approximately 900 yards. Here's a link: Pala Shooting Range

Best regards,
Pala is a great range. I shoot long distance there regularly. I spoke with the range staff about BP. I was told I could bring and shoot anything I wanted to. That range at Rainbow is really nice too with friendly folks. Only shot there once with a friend who is a member but really enjoyed it.

Latest posts

Back