• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Sourdough

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Broke out my starter this week in an effort to keep myself distracted. I think this looks pretty good. Everything Bagel seasoning in and on the bread
5859A5D2-9B7D-4B20-B3AF-443EAA5786B3.jpeg

Broke out my starter this week in an effort to keep myself distracted. I think this looks pretty good. Everything Bagel seasoning in and on the bread View attachment 107236
Not a bread eater, but, that certainly looks good, and the everything bagel seasoning sounds good. I could be tempted, especially if toasted with lots of butter.

Thanks for sharing.

That looks wonderful Tallswife! The last 3 attempts at getting a good starter going have been failures. I sure do love sourdough and made back when I could get it started. Very nice looking loaf on your end!

i have a starter that was passed down from an Alaskan gold rush miner. i can't do gluten so i use it with a pancake mix that has a bunch of other stuff mixed to resemble a real pancake. the starter seems to like it, cause when i feed it it about raises the lid off the jar.
gives the pancakes a real sourdough bite. love sourdough.

I love sourdough that when you bite into it, it bites you back. And let's see that would be how many store bought loaves of sourdough? Oh yea, zero. Best 'slap your mama' sourdough I've ever had comes out of California, but neither bakery will ship to Alaska, I guess since we are another country.

We are trying to make our own, got a starter and have been growing it for six months now and boy does it grow. But the bread we've made so far is no better than store bought. Here is hoping we get there someday.

I love bread, especially sourdough, and that loaf in post #1 looks really good! About the best I can do in the bread-baking department is a form of soda bread. My wife, however sometimes makes French bread that is the real deal.

I enjoy the sense of community on this forum, with offers to share sourdough starter. You don't find that just anywhere.

Best regards,

Notchy Bob

I tried and failed with a starter but I think I was using tap water. It rose "sort of" I made some bread as heavy as a brick, I ate it and didn't get sick but then the started turned pink and I thought, "that doesn't look good" so I tossed it. I'm in Florida- I wonder if sourdough works here.

I tried and failed with a starter but I think I was using tap water. It rose "sort of" I made some bread as heavy as a brick, I ate it and didn't get sick but then the started turned pink and I thought, "that doesn't look good" so I tossed it. I'm in Florida- I wonder if sourdough works here.
Don't let it get you down! I tried to make yeast rolls which I dearly love but I failed terribly. I can make a biscuit that is close to perfect but yeast breads I tried to make didn't turn out well?

Well maybe I'll try again. I really would like to get it right. I eat a lot of pancakes so I could use it about every day.

The most common problem people seem to have with sourdough is establishing and maintaining an energetic starter. As stated above, the most important factor is the water. Bottled water or water purified by reverse osmosis seems to be essential. The worst culprit in municipal tapwater is chloramines. Sic semper panem.

20211109_111447-151dfa6c95cc11157.jpg

20201230_085559951016bd77f37e89.jpg

Back