• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Sourdough without yeast

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I ran across a old post that said the bread done on a stick would have been just flour and water;. It would not rise. For everyone's000..0. information you can make your own sourdough starter … and bread, in the field without yeast .I have done that and here's how: {BTW it will last nearly forever} <A sourdough starter is a leavening agent that is used primarily in making sourdough bread. It is made by mixing just two ingredients, water and flour. It uses wild yeast, present all around us, to activate and ferment the dough. But that cut-and-dry definition robs the starter of all its magic and science. Indeed, the sourdough starter is a little world of its own, a story of microorganisms that live in your food and the air all around us.> Further instructions are all over the internet. This information that I quoted here is not original. I cut and pasted from one of those internet sites. Enjoy delightful sourdough bread anywhere. Polecat

I think time was the limiting factor with respect to bread on a stick, and even chemically leavened breads. Sourdough takes time.
Temperature is also a factor. Good luck making sourdough if the mercury falls below 60F.

It uses wild yeast, present all around us, to activate and ferment the dough.

Well if it's sourdough, then it's yeast AND bacteria, and it's the lactobacilli that "sours" the dough. ;)

Unfortunately, some folks out there think that if you propagate and use wild yeast you automatically are making sourdough. 😶

Now it's common that you will get a wild yeast AND a bacteria with the flour/water/pinch-of-salt starter, so you get sourdough, but alas it isn't automatic. (There are some archaeologists who have made the mistake of assuming that time + wild yeast = sourdough, for example.) Well I've had yeast starter that soured wonderfully..., and I've had it also when it didn't go sour, even when going 2-3 days between baking, and keeping it for more than a month, when the previous starter had soured in less than a week. Oh Well....,

LD

Making the start take tkme and resources. It take about 10 to get your starter going. and probable a lb of flour.
I have done it multiple time, mostly because I dont have time to make the bread and get tired of feeding the start. You also need to feed the start daily..
Different locations will have differnet flavor sourdough too.

Well if it's sourdough, then it's yeast AND bacteria, and it's the lactobacilli that "sours" the dough. ;)

Unfortunately, some folks out there think that if you propagate and use wild yeast you automatically are making sourdough. 😶

Now it's common that you will get a wild yeast AND a bacteria with the flour/water/pinch-of-salt starter, so you get sourdough, but alas it isn't automatic. (There are some archaeologists who have made the mistake of assuming that time + wild yeast = sourdough, for example.) Well I've had yeast starter that soured wonderfully..., and I've had it also when it didn't go sour, even when going 2-3 days between baking, and keeping it for more than a month, when the previous starter had soured in less than a week. Oh Well....,

LD
It is not the yeast that m ake it sour is is the lactic acid from the bacteria, lacto barcilis, in the culture.

Bread on a stick you say? I am intrigued and researching. bringing attention to things forgotten to Goobers like me who never knew they existed is pretty awesome thanks man.

When in Boy Scouts we made bread on a stick using Bisquik. It comes off the stick as a tubular biscuit if done right. A hot dog goes in the middle. The stick can flavor the bread. Don't use willow. Test your stick for flavor or lack of it.

For a real treat try cake on a log. Look up Hungarian chimney cake.

Latest posts

Back