• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Sourdough bread from home-made starter

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, I got my starter up and running. I have been making a few batches of bread. This morning I even whipped up a batch of pancakes.

Smoked a pork butt Friday and and everyone today loved the pulled pork and sour dough sandwiches today for mothers day.

Fleener

Made a couple of loaves this week. My best effort yet and I think I now have a reliable/repeatable recipe. Thanks for your comments above and best wishes. Dave

large.jpg

large.jpg

large.jpg

large.jpg

Don't forget....From the Brother's Green

Make sure you download a free copy of "A Slice of Heaven" Sourdough Ebook
Download Link - https://bit.ly/2FTGUp9

I have been watching a lot of YouTube videos on the subject and have now baked more than a dozen successful loaves using a composite of various recipes and techniques from the videos. In fact I have two large loaves going into the reefer this afternoon, to be baked tomorrow morning.

My favorite topping:
standard.jpg

An excellent tool and an excellent loaf! :thumb:

I think that an enamelware stamped-steel roaster isn't going to visually work for baking bread in camp at an 18th century historic venue. ;) (but that's just for me.)

Folks have written that baking bread (meaning yeast bread like sourdough) is probably improper for a "camp"..., well as also pointed out, that will depend on the camp. For trappers or frontiersmen, who likely didn't have flour nor would lug the oven... this is likely correct, but for a military camp where troops were sometimes in place for many days and there was a baggage train where ovens could be toted...sure they could have fresh baked yeast bread.

LD

By the 17th century, it was common for a Western kitchen to contain a number of skillets, baking pans, a kettle and several pots, along with a variety of pot hooks and trivets.

According to the late food historian Elizabeth David, by the early 18th century European bakers were using square tin pans to create loaves with minimal crust. Called "pain de mie" (mie meaning crumb, because the crumb or inside was more important than the crust), it was the bread of choice for croutons, white breadcrumbs, canapes, sandwiches and toast served with tea.

Enamelware started showing up in America around 1850.

Sourdough's fame began with the Boudin Bakery in San Francisco, founded in 1849 by Isidore Boudin, son of a family of master bakers from Burgundy France . Boudin applied French baking techniques to the fermented-dough bread.

Not posing an argument, just throwing it out there.

My wife made up a batch of sourdough a few weeks ago, it's a great way to stretch a limited amount of yeast. We have had bread, pancakes, waffles, and donuts. Sourdough pancakes, or waffles are tough to beat especially with my own pure maple syrup!

Sourdough is a good way to go if your yeast supply is limited.

I have baked my own sourdough bread for about 10 years. Starter was easy to get going, still using the original. Feed it once a week, works really well after all this time. Family/friends love it!!

Don

AH, Buddy, good sourdough is hard to come by in this day and age. Grandmother used to make it back in the fifties every other day. Never had any store bought bread unless went to big dinner, or friends house. I sure thought that store bought bread was good with baloney and cheese, but, realized how much better sour dough is after eating that chemical infested sliced bread for a few years.

Great loaves! I use 6% rye in my starter and dough for the "nitrous" effect on the rise but have not tried high percentage rye loaves yet. Can you post a crumb shot?

Latest posts

Back