• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Sourcing 4F

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
At best, the performance of the substitute powders is poor. To achieve anything approaching ignition of substitute the substitute powders will involve black powder. Real black powder in the pan and a small igniting charge loaded before the substitute charge. There have been some claims that one brand has worked, well, I am from Missouri.

Powder Valley sells by the pound , but you'll come out ahead if you order several pounds to spread out the HazMat fee and shipping cost.

I used 2F for the first 6 months I had my flinter with no issues because it's all I had, 4F is only slightly faster.

As you found out a flint gun will not ignite Pyrodex in the pan. You do not need 4f to prime with, 3f will work just as well and 2f will work in a pinch. I suggest you just bit the bullet and buy 1 lb. of 4f and 4 lbs. of 3f and pay the price. The pound of 4f will last half a lifetime if you are young. You might find caps harder to come by than black powder.
Exactly what I did. Now I probably have a lifetime supply.

Ok...I'm finding out this may not be the best time to get a flintlock due to scarcity of 4F BP.
The only place I can find it requires a min buy of 5lbs at a total of $125+. Tried grinding up
some Pyro 2F and spent an hr at the range without a single fire. Looking at putting my flint
on the wall and buying a percussion model.
Does anyone have a suggestion as to where to get 4FBP?
Thanks
I make my own. There are many videos on YouTube that teach the process

Ok...I'm finding out this may not be the best time to get a flintlock due to scarcity of 4F BP.
The only place I can find it requires a min buy of 5lbs at a total of $125+. Tried grinding up
some Pyro 2F and spent an hr at the range without a single fire. Looking at putting my flint
Thanks
I don't use 4F and never have. I use the same powder in the pan as in the barrel. When I can get it, I use what's called 'Reenactor'. It's an un-sifted powder. Half the price of graded powder and works just as well. Semper Fi.

2023-02-15.png

I ordered from Grafs recently and saw they had a delay in shipping. I was delighted when my order came in 4 days. They are a good company to deal with.

Why not grind up some 2F or 3F?
I’ve done that a few times years ago and it works fine.

Remember to use non-sparking tools only.
Not needed! Just use what you have (as long ,as it's black) ,back in the old days don't think for a minute they cared as long as it was (DRY) notice no mention of subs back then either!/Ed

While there were exceptions, as always, the F grades of powder is a late 19th, early 20th century invention. Throughout most of the period that our MLs were used there was cannon powder and rifle/pistol powder. There were finer grain powders produced by the English and French but not always available.

Larry Pletcher's timing tests determined that 4F is faster than 3F, BUT since the time difference is less than human perception, they are both about equal for priming.

Andy J. Are there any other muzzle loaders in your area or a club you can join? If there are you can split up an order with them and not buy the entire 5 pound minimum yourself. Bulk orders can spread the haz mat fees with others so if doesn't make you wince. A wood or porcelain mortar and pestle are safe to grind black powder with but 3 F will do. Hate to see you hang up the flintlock without ever shooting it for lack of black powder. Estes Energetics who took over GOEX claims we should see delivery of their black powder this spring.

Thanks
You don't need 4F. Your horn powder will work just as well. Lose the pyro; does not work well in flinters at all, and as far as I know, you won't get much luck trying to light up a panful with your flint. If you really feel the need for finer powder in the pan, grind some of your coarse powder in a wood or ceramic mortar and pestle to the grit you want.

The OP asks where to buy 4F and most folks keep telling him he does not need it when all he asked was where to buy it. In fact he needs BP, he has NONE.

Why not help the guy out?

Geez.

@FishDFly, you provided a list of the major suppliers of black powder in the United States. I couldn't see any point in repeating the list. The OP did thank you.

Just answering the question to find a supply of 4F powder wouldn't put him on a successful path to firing his rifle.

I do have to admit we often get started going down various rabbit holes. Admonition gracefully acknowledged.

At best, the performance of the substitute powders is poor. To achieve anything approaching ignition of substitute the substitute powders will involve black powder. Real black powder in the pan and a small igniting charge loaded before the substitute charge. There have been some claims that one brand has worked, well, I am from Missouri.
One of the big reasons why I haven’t bought a flinter is exactly that. Up here in communist canukastan, real black powder is either nearly impossible to find or when you can locate a pound, it’s worth an arm and a leg to purchase. I’ve used triple 7 almost exclusively in my percussion rifle. At the beginning of my loading procedure, I’ll drop 10 gns of DIY black powder down the muzzle just to ensure ignition of the main charge.

Thanks to all commenters...greatly (really) appreciated...I had a local chap contact me and he is offering 1/2 lb of 4F to help me get started for which I am most grateful. The comments on the differing granularities has also been quite informative. I also made an min order from Grafts to help me, and my son, along (not sure if he will ever complete his new flint kit...may have to take ownership!) With a three day weekend ahead hope to get it out for another try (as long as the balls make it here on time - apparently my 45 cal isnt :( ... really a 44). Any rate...thanks again gents...appreciated.

Back