• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Sourcing 4F

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Ok...I'm finding out this may not be the best time to get a flintlock due to scarcity of 4F BP.
The only place I can find it requires a min buy of 5lbs at a total of $125+. Tried grinding up
some Pyro 2F and spent an hr at the range without a single fire. Looking at putting my flint
on the wall and buying a percussion model.
Does anyone have a suggestion as to where to get 4FBP?
Thanks

As you found out a flint gun will not ignite Pyrodex in the pan. You do not need 4f to prime with, 3f will work just as well and 2f will work in a pinch. I suggest you just bit the bullet and buy 1 lb. of 4f and 4 lbs. of 3f and pay the price. The pound of 4f will last half a lifetime if you are young. You might find caps harder to come by than black powder.

ffg and fffg black powder will work fine. replica powders don't work well with flintlocks.
I'm finding that out...my cynical side would say I can shoot my flintlock great...just pick up my percussion gun and aim! Seriously though I think I may end up biting the bullet and pay for
the privaledge...grinding my gears all the way!

As you found out a flint gun will not ignite Pyrodex in the pan. You do not need 4f to prime with, 3f will work just as well and 2f will work in a pinch. I suggest you just bit the bullet and buy 1 lb. of 4f and 4 lbs. of 3f and pay the price. The pound of 4f will last half a lifetime if you are young. You might find caps harder to come by than black powder.

Yep, you can fire a flintlock with 2F prime, but the delay is noticeable. I could never tell the difference between 3F and 4F prime (but high speed video probably can). The main problem is that pyrodex won’t reliably ignite from a flintlock at all. Not from the pan or the main charge.

You do not absolutely need 4f powder to prime with, but you do need actual black powder. I routinely order 3f powder... when I can get it and use that for priming as well as the main charge. Buy one pound of 4f and fill out the rest of the order with 2f and/or 3f. The substitutes work within their limitations, but not for priming flintlocks.

Ok...I'm finding out this may not be the best time to get a flintlock due to scarcity of 4F BP.
The only place I can find it requires a min buy of 5lbs at a total of $125+. Tried grinding up
some Pyro 2F and spent an hr at the range without a single fire. Looking at putting my flint
Thanks

Why not grind up some 2F or 3F?
I’ve done that a few times years ago and it works fine.

Remember to use non-sparking tools only.

Thanks
Do you have any real blackpowder right now?

You are welcome.

Actually any BP will work in the barrel or pan, subs do not in the barrel or pan for flintlocks.

I just ordered some 2f, 3f, and 4f from Grafs. Their house brand was just under 20 bucks a pound, plus shipping / hazardous charge. Their website shows that they are behind on shipping 7-14 days tho...

No...I dont, sadly...I ground up some pyrodex 2f and didnt work... tried 3FT7 in the pan and
it didn't go at all.
Well even if you had gotten the subs to ignite in the pan, you were still going to have difficulty igniting a main charge of Pyrodex or T7 in your bore. As others has suggested, 2F, 3F or 4F blackpowder will work in your pan. If you find real blackpowder locally and only want to purchase one pound, I would suggest 3F as it works well for the main charge and in the pan, with 2F as a second choice as it is a bit slower in the pan, but will work. If you order online, maybe include a pound of 4F. For priming purposes, it will take you a long time to use up.

Last edited:
Thanks
What do you want for your broken flintlock? Pictures?

Back