• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Source Of French Flints

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bushfire

45 Cal.
Reaction score
Any recommendations for vest places to source french flints? In particular 3/4" and 7/8".

It's getting ridiculous here, the cheapest I can find any flints is $10 per flint. Guy that sells them pretty much has a monopoly on it now.

Is TOW or Dixie posting overseas? I tried to get flints from TOW a few months back and was advised USPS was not sending to a list of countries including Australia & New Zealand. Hope that's back to normal now.

I would call Track of the Wolf and talk to them about it. They have French Amber and you might be able to work out some special shipping.
Before posting the thread I put 15 of 3/4" AND 7/8" flints into my basket at TOW. Shipping was like $53us which is about $75 Australian. Considering i paid $20 shipping for a knife and $30 for a shooting bag recently from other sellers it seems like they're turning a profit on freight.

Before posting the thread I put 15 of 3/4" AND 7/8" flints into my basket at TOW. Shipping was like $53us which is about $75 Australian. Considering i paid $20 shipping for a knife and $30 for a shooting bag recently from other sellers it seems like they're turning a profit on freight.
Seems that way doesn’t it. But shipping cost have really gone up in last 6-8 months like everything else. It’s a crazy time. But I agree that Track and the others are making sure they don’t loose money on shipping and maybe make a few bucks extra in the process.

I used to ship weekly to Australia a few years back. Not only are duties excessive on your end, there is a high likelihood your flints will never make it to you. Many sellers have experienced refusal of items when the customer does not pay the high duty, and the shipper doesn't get the items back, or the items are taken by customs. The only way I would ship to AU was if payment in full was received by me and the customer was willing to assume the risk and high duty with no refund given if things didn't work out.
French flints are close to $3 USD here in the states, so for you it might be best to pay what is needed locally. Good luck.

I'm in Alaska and there's been a few times when the "robot" quoted a considerably higher price than the shipping actually turned out to be. I think sometimes it defaults to 2nd day air or something. You might try to communicate with an actual human there to see if you can get a better deal.

Is TOW or Dixie posting overseas? I tried to get flints from TOW a few months back and was advised USPS was not sending to a list of countries including Australia & New Zealand. Hope that's back to normal now.
TOTW will ship to New Zealand , we landed a small shipment of flints and cleaning jags etc a couple of months ago , trouble is Track will only ship 12 flints maximum of each size and the freight costs $53 US , they use a carton about 1' square and 2" thick no matter what you buy so it pays to fill it because the shipping is always the same cost . It cost me $7.11 US for a fouling scraper inc freight when the scraper cost $3.99 from TOTW so it cost $3.12 for shipping that one item , It would have been twice that if I hadn't shared the order with a mate and halved the freight costs .

Shipping seems to be back to normal since the earlier part of the year. We have some customers down your way and my company has been shipping to Australia and New Zealand since about March. I just ordered some 7/8" X 1" French amber flints from TOW last month, quality is excellent.

TOTW will ship to New Zealand , we landed a small shipment of flints and cleaning jags etc a couple of months ago , trouble is Track will only ship 12 flints maximum of each size and the freight costs $53 US , they use a carton about 1' square and 2" thick no matter what you buy so it pays to fill it because the shipping is always the same cost . It cost me $7.11 US for a fouling scraper inc freight when the scraper cost $3.99 from TOTW so it cost $3.12 for shipping that one item , It would have been twice that if I hadn't shared the order with a mate and halved the freight costs .
Freight has got ridiculous. Think my previous order from TWO was some nipples, jags and a couple of dozen flints. $7us freight as I recall. Oh yeh and a big box....

Any recommendations for vest places to source french flints? In particular 3/4" and 7/8".

It's getting ridiculous here, the cheapest I can find any flints is $10 per flint. Guy that sells them pretty much has a monopoly on it now.
You could try Kévin Chartier in France. He makes lovely blonde and black flints. Around 1USD each.

Musée de la Pierre à Fusil
41130 Meusnes
France

[email protected]

NitWit, thank you for the link ... finishing up another rifle, so i'll need flints to make it go ... never thought they'd get so expensive, but then again, i never thought i'd live this long ...

This is of no help to you I am afraid but I got some of mine from around Meusnes, where French blonde flints are made, off the vineyards which used flint refuse as a mulch. Millions of them scattered over the fields. Not shaped of course but a careful search turns up ones which are similar to spall flints.

Latest posts

Back