• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Source for leather other than Tandy?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello friends-
I typically purchase my leather from Tandy, mainly because that's the first place I encountered when starting to fool around with leather work. They started their Black Friday deals today, so if you are looking for leather tools or other supplies, you may want to take a look.

Unfortunately they've already sold out of leather, which got me to thinking that maybe there are other (better?) sources for ordering tooling leather. I've always consider Tandy to be one of those "kinda/sorta" craftsman shops, marketing towards the amateur like myself, and I'm guessing there may be better sources for leather and associated tools.

I'm seeking 5/6 weight leather for making a knife sheath.

Where do you buy your veg-tanned (or other) leather if not Tandy?

Thanks in advance..

Hello friends-
I typically purchase my leather from Tandy, mainly because that's the first place I encountered when starting to fool around with leather work. They started their Black Friday deals today, so if you are looking for leather tools or other supplies, you may want to take a look.

Unfortunately they've already sold out of leather, which got me to thinking that maybe there are other (better?) sources for ordering tooling leather. I've always consider Tandy to be one of those "kinda/sorta" craftsman shops, marketing towards the amateur like myself, and I'm guessing there may be better sources for leather and associated tools.

I'm seeking 5/6 weight leather for making a knife sheath.

Where do you buy your veg-tanned (or other) leather if not Tandy?

Thanks in advance..
You can check on Etsy.

There was a place called Leather unlimited that I bought some belly sections of cowhide from because they were reasonablly priced. They were pretty small but enough to make knife sheaths. Very irregular in shape though but I used the left over for small bags/pouches and even smaller pieces to hold flints.

ThreeCrows

Weaver Leather supply … enter in your search engine and find a whole new world of leather and supplies. Polecat
Wow! Scroll down till you get Weaver Leather SUPPLY. It seems there are lots of businesses trying to get attention.. When you get Weaver Leather Supply it will have a hand engraving a name on a piece of leather. Sorry if I led you to a different place [men's underwear aleady?????]

Landwerlen Leather Company in downtown Indianapolis is still in the same store where they started in 1906. Their main business is supplying the shoe repair businesses around the country. Their basement is full of Oak Tanned Leather. They have a website.

I order most of my leather from Wickett and Craig up in PA. Nice leather, they will split it to whatever weight you need and with their monthly specials typically the sides are @$145-160 each. These have more blemishes than higher grade sides, but are still a great value

Here is a place in central Oklahoma, Traditions Leathercraft LLC. He is a good friend of mine that does a lot of side quivers, arm guards, belts, holsters for me and my friends that shoot Traditional Archery and handguns. He ran the Tandy Leathers outlet in Oklahoma City for years and has some good contacts on leather.
I buy what little leather I use for bow grips, possible bags and other stuff from him.
If you visit with him, tell him Mike that is in the Oklahoma Selfbow Society suggested him. He is a great guy and great hunter. I helped him carry an elk out of the mountains a few years back.
Mike
Traditions Leathercraft

I've dealt with Tandy, Weaver, Springfield and others in the past 35 years and I find in the last 15 years that Springfield Leather has been my go to leather store - reasonable prices, fast delivery and answers all your questions fast. The only complaint is their on line catalog - it is a bit confusing - I have to call to get some answers.

Latest posts

Back