• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Source for leather other than Tandy?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The local Tandy Leather store in Peoria closed up and the next closest store is 180 miles away.

I am glad I stumbled across this thread, because I am running low on leather for holsters and such.

Tandy is now owned by Hobby Lobby. There is not much left of Tandy.
Wonder if that means that they'll change the branding too, and maybe even "blow out" some of their Tandy-branded hardware?

I saw a cool YouTube video of their hand-operated (non-electric) leather sewing machines (TANDY PRO® COWBOY OUTLAW MACHINE) that looked quite impressive.

It retails for almost $1400, so I could afford one if they went on a 90% discount!!

Rob

I hear great things about this KY leather and plan to try them out. I had a bad experience with Crazy Crow. Sold me two German tanned Buckskin hides. One looked like it was shot with buckshot, holes everywhere! The other was a partial hide with the top 1/3 cut strait off yet I paid for a full hide. I contacted them and they told me "this is normal" and didn't do anything for me. Crazy Crow has been good to do business for their other products but I wouldn't buy leather from them again.

I saw a cool YouTube video of their hand-operated (non-electric) leather sewing machines (TANDY PRO® COWBOY OUTLAW MACHINE) that looked quite impressive.

It retails for almost $1400, so I could afford one if they went on a 90% discount!!

Rob

I was looking at those also but couldn't justify the price. While looking around I ran across this video, looked them up and they are cheap. The same guy has another video showing how to motorized it for less than $50. Still contemplating.

I was looking at those also but couldn't justify the price. While looking around I ran across this video, looked them up and they are cheap. The same guy has another video showing how to motorized it for less than $50. Still contemplating.

Wow... that's an impressive machine for a LOT less coin. Seems that there are a few versions on Amazon. Sure would make some of my leatherwork easier and faster. Wonder if the stitching it provides would be as strong as saddle stitching by hand. I suspect not, as the thread on that machine appears to be about half the diameter of the waxed thread that I use. But still... I'm not sewing actual saddles. Wow.. Now I have some thinking to do too.

Wow... that's an impressive machine for a LOT less coin. Seems that there are a few versions on Amazon. Sure would make some of my leatherwork easier and faster. Wonder if the stitching it provides would be as strong as saddle stitching by hand. I suspect not, as the thread on that machine appears to be about half the diameter of the waxed thread that I use. But still... I'm not sewing actual saddles. Wow.. Now I have some thinking to do too.
On a more closer examination of the ratings of this product, it seems there are a few versions being sold by different venders, but all look to be identical. Ships from China. While overall it achieves about a 4 star rating, there are plenty of folks giving it a poor review for being essentially "roughed" together, requiring partial to complete tear down, filing some parts, and re-assembly. Couple of guys replaced all of the screws with higher quality screws. Virtually everyone suggests scrapping the pitiful tripod stand it comes on and building a better stand (similar to the YouTube video guy did). I don't mind building a stand and maybe a little file work or new hardware, but I would get very frustrated if the thing just didn't sew. Nothing frustrates me more than a sewing machine that doesn't work! Those things are a mechanical nightmare to me.

I haven't given up altogether, but I'm less enthusiastic given some of the reviews. If you go for it OlFuzzy, keep us informed on how it goes!

I live about 40 minutes from the flagship store in Fort Worth, Texas. Really nice place. They also have a veterans discount. I like actually going to a store rather than ordering leather online, so I can touch it and look at it. Plus the store smells amazing.

I buy my leather at flea market in Kodak tn that at exit 407 interstate 40 lady sale it on outside she get it from ky

Back