• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

source for lead

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wonder what the deal is on brass? Maybe I need to hold on to my next scrap tub and shop around. I usually take about 100 lbs or so of #260 12 ga. sheet brass which is scrap from running parts. Some of it is fair size pieces and the scrap man is always happy to see me. He always ask if I have more because its the cleanest brass in town. I'll have to ask him about lead too.
Anyone in sc ohio that want lead, pm me

"Sweet Lead" is from thae taste it has when you bite down on it. small freshwater Fishing Sinkers used to be put on the line by biting down on the tabs or the spilt shot and you could taste if it was Sweet pure lead or if it was an Amalgamate like the dentist used to fill your cavitys. the old expression to Bite the Bullett would let you know if you were biting a Gold Dubloon (Piece of Eight) or a Lead coin with a thin gold layer on it. Try it. the Gold does Not taste sweet but the lead does! pB ( PlumBob) View attachment 99913
The USMC always had a unique way of detoxifying one's body. I don't know how many times I heard "Come-on, Move-It, Move-It, Move-It,-----Get the LEAD OUT!!!!!" and amazingly everyone got faster.

I guess I had it lucky for 50 years. During my time working as a steamfitter I was always around the plumbers that were caulking cast iron soil lines and then pouring in lead, and they have large lines in the city. I also made all my duck decoy anchors by pouring lead into beer cans with a piece of brazing wire for the loop. After I retired my buddy walked the popular beaches with his metal detector looking for lost jewelry in the sand. He asked me if I wanted sinkers, I said sure. These sinkers weren't your 1/4 oz. ones, 4 ozs to 6 ozs was what the surf casters were using. His day at the beach gave me a day at the range with the lead he found. Now if lead was only magnetic I would be rich by mining the Long Island Sound for lead sinkers.

I just noticed that Justin44 posted a batch of soft lead on the shooting accessories for sale list. 60 lbs of it. I've bought several batches from him and it was all good soft lead. Soft enough for mini's.. What I have gotten from him has been running 5 BHN. Some seemed softer but it's hard to tell below 5.

I just noticed that Justin44 posted a batch of soft lead on the shooting accessories for sale list. 60 lbs of it. I've bought several batches from him and it was all good soft lead. Soft enough for mini's.. What I have gotten from him has been running 5 BHN. Some seemed softer but it's hard to tell below 5.
Big plus on the @Justin.44 and the lead he sells. What I received from him checked at 5 BHN with my tester.

As soon as you melt the lead the impurities rise to the top and can be scraped off
Impurities yes, but not alloying metal. You can't heat up hard lead and scoop out the tin, antinomy or anything else mixed with the lead. That's like saying you can chuck a cake in the blender and scoop out the egg.

I just picked up 9 pounds of roof-boot lead for the asking from a roofing crew. Had some very hard and brittle shingle stuck to it as well as some ancient tar. A little work and flexing the lead/shingle back and forth got the shingle and tar to break off pretty clean. 63,000 grains of soft lead ought to cast up a bunch of bullets.

Awe Timber Wolf you made out pretty Darn good, I to have been looking for a small supply of lead my self I really don’t care if there is some impurities in it I am only going to round ball it up and send it down range at some steel any ways. But again that was a smart find congrats…

I retired from the phone company after 45 years Feb 2020 and we took down tons of lead cable in decades past and my coworkers were like hungry vultures stripping the lead sheath off. At the time I could care less about lead but, now I wish I had been right there with them...

Most of the "old" guys have used or disbursed of their lead, or they have gone to the great pole yard in the sky.

Good idea, though, since there is still lead in the air around here.
Wow, I knew an old time telephone guy; long gone now, but who knew that? Thanks for the memory.

"Sweet Lead" is from thae taste it has when you bite down on it. small freshwater Fishing Sinkers used to be put on the line by biting down on the tabs or the spilt shot and you could taste if it was Sweet pure lead or if it was an Amalgamate like the dentist used to fill your cavitys. the old expression to Bite the Bullett would let you know if you were biting a Gold Dubloon (Piece of Eight) or a Lead coin with a thin gold layer on it. Try it. the Gold does Not taste sweet but the lead does! pB ( PlumBob) View attachment 99913
Interesting!

The old name for lead acetate was "sugar of lead" which is why the Romans stored wine in lead containers to sweeten the wine. The gray scale on oxidized lead has some lead acetate in it, Which is why you should always wash your hands well after handling lead.
Geez, no wonder the Roman Empire fell!

Latest posts

Back