• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

source for lead

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Call local roofers. They always have lead from old roof stacks. Stack lead is often painted and needs skimmed and fluxed but it's free.

Last edited:
I always bought from the local scrap/recycling place. But two years ago they stopped selling either lead or brass to the public. Luckily I still have a good supply from when they redid the local hospital x ray rooms.It just has a green glow to it!
Wonder what the deal is on brass? Maybe I need to hold on to my next scrap tub and shop around. I usually take about 100 lbs or so of #260 12 ga. sheet brass which is scrap from running parts. Some of it is fair size pieces and the scrap man is always happy to see me. He always ask if I have more because its the cleanest brass in town. I'll have to ask him about lead too.

I just put local feelers out through friends that shoot muzzleloader. Ended up in the barn of a retired phone company guy, he had sheets of lead that took 2 of us to load in my truck. I'd guess about 500 lbs total, for $150. My friend and I split it. Should be good for a while. He uses to make shot for skeet shooting but has aged out of that and didn't need the lead.

I just put local feelers out through friends that shoot muzzleloader. Ended up in the barn of a retired phone company guy, he had sheets of lead that took 2 of us to load in my truck. I'd guess about 500 lbs total, for $150. My friend and I split it. Should be good for a while. He uses to make shot for skeet shooting but has aged out of that and didn't need the lead.
Ha- As a cable splicer for ma bell I to laid in a supply of lead before I retired. Unfortunately Or fortunately, at 80 years of age I’ve out live my supply. Now it’s mining the back stop at the gun club, that’s becoming a bit strenuous. so more and more I depend on a plumber son or buying it.
A note on the telco lead. Depending on how he sourced it the lead can have a fair amount of antimony tin or calcium content.

Have you drove up and spoken with anyone from local scrap yards. I go in and dig through the lead bins and pick what I want for cost.
Where I live, they won't let you near the piles, if you so much as scratched yourself, they'd be up for a lawsuit for injury. Plus you gotta get past the mean dogs and shotgun wielding owner.:)

If you have a stained glass business nearby, talk to them about scraps from their projects or their classes.
They don't use real lead anymore, at least in craft businesses. I gotta think real stained glass places are few and far between. Lead is considered "toxic" in today's weenie world :)

Does anyone know where there is a good source for lead?

I have a few Hundred Pounds of SCUBA Dive Wieghts for sale. just $2.50 per pound. The Dive shops are gettuing $3.50 a pound or $5.00 per pound fro the contours.( They are really hard to find) In Saco. Maine can ship in large flat rate boxes 70 pound each. send me an email. [email protected]

Attachments

• 4 pound SCUBA Lead Weight Just $2.50 per pound..JPG
    4 pound SCUBA Lead Weight Just $2.50 per pound..JPG
    80 KB · Views: 26
  • 5 pound SCUBA Lead Weight Just $2.50 per pound..JPG
    5 pound SCUBA Lead Weight Just $2.50 per pound..JPG
    98.7 KB · Views: 30
  • 10 pound SCUBA Lead Contour Weights Just $2.50 per pound. pic 3 (2).JPG
    10 pound SCUBA Lead Contour Weights Just $2.50 per pound. pic 3 (2).JPG
    129.8 KB · Views: 39
I have these Sinterd Lead impregnated Rubber sheets. They are 40 pounds each and you can cut them with shears, utility knfe or hole pund. Have been using them for Duck Decoy wieghts, Lobster Pot wieghts and make great bullett stops for low velocity rounds. no reason you could not use a hole punch and make a bunch of maybe 12 GA or 50 can flat slugs. an ounce is an ounce weather its feathers or rocks. they really hurt when you get slapped with them.
Rubber Lead curtains a.jpg
Rubber Lead curtains b.jpg
[email protected]

Toys from China have Lead in them, in fact most of the stuff has toxic heavy metal. Cadinum, Lithium, , Mercury, Chromimun, Badnium and Unobtainium. Just load and shoot Hpappy Meal Pokemon balls. You just need a bigger Bore to shoot them. Watch out for Frienry Fryerout for Frienry Frye r
Pokemon.jpg

Ha- As a cable splicer for ma bell I to laid in a supply of lead before I retired. Unfortunately Or fortunately, at 80 years of age I’ve out live my supply. Now it’s mining the back stop at the gun club, that’s becoming a bit strenuous. so more and more I depend on a plumber son or buying it.
A note on the telco lead. Depending on how he sourced it the lead can have a fair amount of antimony tin or calcium content.
Most of it was sheet lead that he said came from a re model at an x-ray room. He was there running some phone lines and grabbed it. Also some phone company stuff that has other things in it like wire.

Back