• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Sothern Mountian Rifles

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ol vern

40 Cal.
Reaction score
southern/appalachian mountian what is the difference between a squirrel rifle a hog rifle
and a bear rifle?
caliber?
style?
or maybe just different names for the same gun depending on what part of the country you come from.
what is your opinion?

Here in WV I've always heard them called "squirrel rifles".

Guys I know who live in lower VA/Carolina's call them "hog rifles".

I always just thought it was regional dialect.

The style of gun looks exactly the same to me.

I have noticed that all of these rifles are very similer. I have noticed that some of the rifles do have slightly different barrel lengtghs, maybe that is one of the differances.

Speaking strictly of Southern Mountain Rifles only: Growing up with and as a long time builder of rifles of the Southern persuasion, a squirrel rifle is a small caliber up to around 38. The hog rifles seemed to start at about 40 and work up to about 56. All rifles that I have encountered that were 58 or larger have always been called bear rifles. In the past 10 years or so, the term hog rifle has encompassed the smaller caliber squirrel rifles, but the bear guns have stood separate. The terms themselves are also regional, but here in the Midwest, we also have our "deer guns". Cheers, Bookie

I have a soft spot for the "Southern Mountain/Tennessee/Carolina" rifles and while not a student of them I do see some differences in the shape of the butt stock, butt plate or lack thereof and the drop at the wrist. Also in grease holes and patch boxes. I would suspect in regard to calibers Bookie is probably pretty close. All vernacular is local so the names are probably much as Ridge said.

Locally, where I live, unless a person is interested in firearms or hunts, all centerfire rifles are "deer rifles". Kinda like Bookie said.

Vic

Southern mountain, Tennessee mountain, and Tennessee classics all seem to have a different drop at heel. Squirrels ain't much given to charges so you can sit down and aim small. You'd be shootin' hogs and bears from the offhand position. That's after you manuvered yore quarry so's you could stand next to a climbin' tree. :rotf:

"...I do see some differences in the shape of the butt stock..."

The most notable difference is a Squirrel Rifle usually has a fairly smooth butt stock. Occasionally small tufts of Squirrel Hair is found stuck to the wood by Squirrel blood.

A Hog Rifle stock butt often has some big gashes cut into it by the teeth of a Pxxxed off wounded Boar.
Boar drool is often used as a stock finish and the hunters swear it is self rejuvenating.

A Bear Rifle stock butt often has only dangling pieces of wood hanging by a few slivers from the wrist. There are also large claw marks imprinted on both sides of the true Bear Rifles butt stock.
Some of the older Bear Rifle stock butts also have unusual piercings which almost completely penetrate the wood.
This is especially true of Bear Rifles of .40 caliber and smaller. :grin:

Other than these differences all Southern Rifles are similar. :rotf:

Being a BIG fan of the southern mountain rifle, alot of what I've read was a hog rifle was one used at a shoot where you shot for for a hog as the prize. Scratch an x on a chared board,the closest to the x gets the lion share of the hog.
Squirrel rifles were smaller cal.guns.IMHO.
Pathfinder

Zonie, I liked your post and must use it sometime. Now as to Southern mountain rifles and Eastern Tennessee and Western North Carolina guns in particular I consulted with my elderly friend in N.C also fondly known as the "old man of the mountains and we found ourselves in agreement, a situation equally scary to both of us.

First the terms,squirrel,hog,and bear as applied to these rifles are relatively modern terms probably dating from the very late 19th or early 20th century.A squirrel rifle is and was basically a gun with a small bore suitable for squirrel and was applied to cartridge as well as muzzle loading guns.The term "hog" rifle applied to guns used to kill hogs during hog killing time.Small bored .22 guns such as the Stevens didn't have the large bullets and slow velocity so old percussion rifles which were found in abundance became the gun of choice.As to bears any gun with a large enough bore was a bear gun. We seldom see these old rifles with more than .45-48 caliber bores and as soon as the larger bored more powerful Winchester,Marlin and others appeared they became the weapon of choice for bear killing.

I have looked at a considerale number of East Tennessee estate inventories and have never seen anything except "rifle guns" and occasionally "shot guns" which probably referred to old fowlers. Another gun which achieved some popularity was the .58 Cal.CW rifled or smooth bore musket.These were cut back to half stock and made dandy shotguns and I have seen a number and once owned a Bridesburg contract musket converted to a shotgun.They were also bored or shot out and continued in use because they were so cheap to shoot.

Some other items or terms which we question are canoe guns,blanket guns, cut back ranger, Indian{with a few western exceptions} or trade guns,hawks,and cleaning jags.The first three guns are purely fantasy.The last term, the cleaning jag,may date to the 19th century on fine weapons such as cased pistols and the like but common folk used worms and sometimes a separate cleaning rod called a "wiper or wiping rod"I saw an arly 19th century East Tennessee inventory including rifle gun and wiping stick. These are often shown in Pennsylvania as weipers.

Now last but certainly not least is the ubiquitous term "hawk"applied to tomahawks.I really don't know when this term entered the black powder vernacular,but suspect the 1940's or 50's.An early use I've seen is the term used as the nickname of one "Hawk Broughton".The early references from the 17th and 18th century that I've seen refer to the terms "hatchet" and "tomahawk" derived from the Algonquin word,"tomahaken meaning "to strike with or as if with a tomahawk"I've never seen the word "hawk" used as meaning tomahawk except in modern terminology.I would be very interested know if anyone can come up with an early use of the word "hawk"
Tom Patton

Here is a photo of my REAL squirrel gun. As you can tell, drop of the stock or shape of the butt is immaterial. By the way, this is a real rifle built by a fellow who had no money. The gun is fired by releasing the hammer with your thumb. The trigger is also the tang bolt in the 3/8" size. A little rock putty formed into a camelback gives the gun a "certain" aire, doncha think? :youcrazy: Cheers, Bookie
SquirrelGun.jpg

I for one could tell that was a squirrel gun because of the nice tail that is sticking up at the butt.
Like my description above says "...small tufts of Squirrel Hair is found stuck to the wood by Squirrel blood."
Of course I personally would not recommend using the whole tail, but I must admit that when seen with the beautiful puttyhump it does give a certain aura.

Well you certainly are givin' him is money's worth. I'da carried it out of his sight and got rid of it. :youcrazy:

I've thought about this for quite a while and come to the conclusion that the arcetecture of the stock and caliber of the barrel doesn't matter as to whether it is a squirrel rifle, hog rifle, deer rifle, or bear rifle. If a settler needed meat he took what ever he had and went huntin. If he shot a squirrel he had a squirrel rifle same with deer bear or hog. Just my 2d.

Back