• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

"Sort of" period looking scope options

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I never heard of a telescopic sight made in 1776: do you know who or where it was made? When scopes were fitted to to target rifles after 1840 the danger of eye injury was very real especially as the rifles got larger and more powerful.
Charles Wilson Peale, the portrait artist was the chap...
Riffle with a Telescope to it

LD

To elaborate on the original question, here's my train of thought... it's not so much a question of whether or not to install a scope, I have a Lyman trade rifle with a modern scope already on it. The scope works fine, but in my opinion it looks weird and out of place on the rifle. So it's a question of whether to remove the mount and plug the holes, or install a scope that, while it might not be actually "period", will fit the lines of the rifle a little better.

In no way is it going to be original or authentic, but I think it would look better on the gun.

OK so your question is one of aesthetics. The answer then is simple, do what you want and can afford. It doesn't get any harder than that, eh?

For The Record....

We fudge as well on "peep" sights...,

These are modern peep sights on traditional muzzleloaders, but they are tougher to "see" on the rifle from a distance, so folks let them pass.

Peep Sight A.JPG
Peep Sight C.JPG

Peep Sight B.JPG

Peep Sight E.JPG

Here's what I use on my trade guns:

CORNER BRACE SIGHT 2.JPG
CORNER BRACE SIGHT.jpg

And here's an actual peep sight from a gun, circa 1780:

PEEP sight Ottoman 1780s.jpg

LD

One should note that some states do not allow scopes during their muzzle loading or "primative" weapons periods, some states also apply this to modern day inline weapons.

From a painting by W Homer Esq. - an illustration of a Confederate sharpshooter, often cited...

View attachment 172995
Oh my gosh, that looks like an out take from a color print in a book I once found in an Alabama charity resale shop for the benefit of unwed mothers. The beautifully bound book had been written by a Confederate General. When I opened it the riflemen up in the trees was the first amazing picture I saw and I knew I had to purchase it. The Confederate snipers were outfitted in green uniforms and that made me go oh wow right there. Years later I gave the book to a museum in southeast Texas and certainly hope they put it to some use other than a door stop.

Back