• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Sometimes the fix is easy

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have a fine Renegade .50 flintlock that had a VERY poor frizzen/pan fit.
The frizzen contacted the front of the pan resulting in quite a gap between it and the rear of the pan. Enough to QUICKLY lose the prime. Spark was adequate, but that issue was a no go for a hunter!
Was thinking about possible fixes, when I wondered if it was a poorly drilled frizzen pivot. I had a n.o.s. T/C frizzen, so I pulled the original and installed the new one.
VIOLA! Not quite 100% contact, but 100% better and Divine Poop does this thing SPARK!
She didn't show signs of much use. Small wonder if the owner lined up and got nothing when the hammer dropped, only to find no prime!
So. I was worried about needing a new lock, or some fancy machining.
But all she needed was a new frizzen.
Sometimes, it is a simple fix.

I put a T/C factory aperture on her and will zero it up soon.
When I pulled the open rear sight, I found not 2 holes, but 4! Folk complain about hot glue or wood putty in the inletting. But those extra holes...

I have a renegade with 4 screw holes also. A previous owner had the extras put in for mounting a red dot. They really aren’t any cause for concern, and I might put that red dot back on anyway.

Not worried about the extra holes, even though they're pretty deep...
Just a bit shoddy.
As far as filing a frizzen. If they're soft enough to file, they're WAY too soft.

Have to say this rifle is working HARD for a place in the rack!
She is an extremely tight ram, with a load I dare not mention. 3/4 inch 3 shot 50 yard groups are common.
I have molds for various conicals, which will be tried, but I'm burned out trying to get good/ consistent results with ball. Eventually, I will try her with ball though. Be just my luck. Tried purpose built ball rifles with infuriating accuracy and consistency issues. Shot a LOT of powder and lead. Thicker / thinner patches, grease/ oil lubes, 2f/3f charges up/ down, .490/.495 ball... Watch this shallow groove 1-48 beat them all.
It really is hard to go wrong with a Renegade that's in decent shape. Reliable, accurate and tough as nails.

Back