• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Something small

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I want a small rifle something like a Seneca but in 45 maybe 50 cal and more affordable. I want it to carry on my 4 wheeler thru the hills and woods with out snagging on everything. What is there. Looks are not a huge issue but quality and accuracy are.

The seneca and cherokee were both available in 45 caliber. Expect to pay upwards of $400 for one in good condition.

What do you consider "more affordable"? I don't think $400.00 for an uncommon gun that is out of production for many years now is all that much to pay.

In any case, the solution is relatively simple: find a muzzleloader in a shop somewhere that meets your price requirements, buy it, get the hacksaw out and cut it to length. Depending on what you are modifying, you might need to shorten the stock and/or the under-barrel rib... which might mean some drilling and tapping or maybe JB Weld work. Next you need to re-crown the barrel and file a dovetail for your front sight. Personally, I would get the gunsmith to re-crown the barrel, but you don't really have to do that.

You just might end up with a functional "canoe gun" for less than a Benjamin!

Check out the Pedersoli Scout. It’s a great little rifle and mine is very accurate with a variety of loads.

Lyman Deer Stalker. Rugged and small. BBL 24", OAL 35", T 1:48, 50 or 54. USED SB $400 or less.

Thank you guys for pointing me in the right direction. Good stuff.
The Traditions Deerhunter is hard to beat for a knock about compact rifle. Nothing fancy, just shoots good.

Attachments

• A9CCAE83-172E-4DD1-B366-62326DE95F06.jpeg
    A9CCAE83-172E-4DD1-B366-62326DE95F06.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
Thompson Center Pennsylvania Hunter Carbine might fit your bill. Round ball shooter with a 21" octagon to round barrel, single trigger though. I love mine and I can hit clay pigeons offhand 80% plus at 50 yards. For a short lightweight shooter it groups plenty tight at 50 yards from the bench, a very handy rig.

Traditions Deerhunter

A used one can be found for under $200 , check pawn shops. It also comes ready for a sling.

Just curious. Going to make or buy a scabbard? Carry it vertical butt up? Or???
No scabbard in mind at this time. Wanting to carry it on right side with front barrel on front right mud guard and shoulder stock on back mud guard. Basically ridding horizontal next to my right leg. Nothing sticking out to catch on trees. I almost always enter from the left so it won't be in the way. Kind of thinking of getting a Walker and hanging it like the way they did back in the day over the front of the saddle but over my fuel tank. If they had them with shoulder stock I would.
I'm adding a trailer to mine and it may be put in a box with camping gear until I get to camp.

Back