• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Something amiss with Pietta sheriff model.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The arbor can only do full turns because of the slot and taper fit of the wedge to it.
I'm afraid the wedge slot "angle cut" is an Italian thing. The originals that I've worked on are cut straight. The wedge typically contacts the front of the arbor slot left of center. It's a "single" point contact rather than a full "section" contact ( full contact invites loosening from shock/ vibration).
20160713_180647.jpg

You can see the "bright" contact area on the arbor slot.

20160713_182125.jpg

20160713_181126.jpg

Mike

Well I do have an update, a new hand of the proper length (the one that was in the gun was shortened for some reason) and the gap is fixed.
If the arbor threads have any less pitch than 22 tpi, one revolution will give the cylinder no clearance with the barrel at all. I for get just now but I think they are square or acme profile and have a pitch of about 12 tpi. 12 tpi draws up 83.33 thousands per revolution. A 22 tpi draws up 45.45 thousands per revolution.
And then there is the matter of the set/lock pin indexing with the original hole in the end of the arbor. So on less one wants to leave the pin out or to drill another hole in the end of the arbor threads were back to a full revolution draw up.

Last edited:
The point where the frame and lower barrel meet seems to be aligned properly, so changing the barrel gap would seem to me to throw that out of alignment. Am I missing something, Mike?
RTF, well, just a little bit ( you're thinkin!!!!).
The connection at the barrel lug / frame is simply a butt joint but there is plenty "leeway" for endshake correction. If you think of the butt joint as a pivot or fulcrum, the slightest arbor length correction is multiplied since the bore is above the arbor. A little on or off the arbor is MORE at the cyl / bbl. The frame / barrel lug is more of a "place holder" or foundation . . . it'll be the same all the time regardless. It's fairly rare that that area needs attention.

Mike

Latest posts

Back