• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Someone Talk Me Out of a Howdah

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Is it a muzzle loader? If yes, you are okay. If it is a breech loader you would be in violation of the NFA of 1934 - a felony.

I have contemplated additional barrels with one being turned into a 28 ga with a 17” barrel. I was warned that despite being a muzzleloader it didn’t come that way, that by cutting the barrel the government may well consider it illegal.

I have contemplated additional barrels with one being turned into a 28 ga with a 17” barrel. I was warned that despite being a muzzleloader it didn’t come that way, that by cutting the barrel the government may well consider it illegal.
Something to ask yourself; is cutting down an old $65 gun worth going to prison over? There are better things that you could be doing.

You are 100% there. I would go to my elected county sheriff and ask him.

Not the sheriff. Take photos of the gun, lots of them. Then in a detailed letter, sent with the photos, tell the ATF what you want to do.

Be sure to also describe the firearm in great detail.

Ask them if it’s legal. Your local Sheriff is not part of the ATF. He may not be up to speed on federal firearm laws.

Not the sheriff. Take photos of the gun, lots of them. Then in a detailed letter, sent with the photos, tell the ATF what you want to do.

Be sure to also describe the firearm in great detail.

Ask them if it’s legal. Your local Sheriff is not part of the ATF. He may not be up to speed on federal firearm laws.

Good point. I guess the ATF agent would not be impress if I said " Well my sheriff said"

Jim Hallam Now theres a name I know of and your efforts for us all at Bisley . Good to hear you are still around Regards Rudyard.

Jim,

I'd be pleased to see you anytime!

Those fences on your pistol very much remind me of an Adams I had a long time ago. (Finsbury Pavement)
Very nice pistol!
Rudyard,
I thought you maybe knew each other!

Brit,
Rudyard is down in NZ most of the time these days.

Richard.

Something to ask yourself; is cutting down an old $65 gun worth going to prison over? There are better things that you could be doing.

If it’s illegal than absolutely not. I’ve seen people debate both ends of it and unless I saw it for myself in black and white I’d not do it. I only chose 17” as it gave just enough space after the first barrel and would be simple. No reason it couldn’t be 18” dropping any reasons for concerns on legality.

I "was" very sure that muzzle loaders were not subject to the barrel length rules as they pertain to modern guns. Hence "canoe guns" and shoulder stocks on muzzle loader pistol and revolvers. However, I'm not a lawyer, I just play one on T.V.

It's pretty easy to make the paper-bag cartridge too robust... and end up slugging. Sure a lot of fun to play with though!
I have never had one "slug", but hear of it often. My cartridges completely disintegrate, I usually can find NO trace of the paper after firing. I believe one would have to try hard to make it too robust, many wraps beyond common sense.

I have the pedersoli howdah and the butt stock to go with it. I have used it in cowboy action events and even hunted and taken pheasant with it. Pedersoli products are very well built. As a confederate calvary arm the are devastating at close range. Without the butt stock the pistol is very nose heavy. I would only use it as a pistol if I was a very strong person. With the butt stock it is a light and fast short range shotgun. I also changed out the nipples for musket cap nipples and have much less trouble with ignition.

I have the pedersoli howdah and the butt stock to go with it. I have used it in cowboy action events and even hunted and taken pheasant with it. Pedersoli products are very well built. As a confederate calvary arm the are devastating at close range. Without the butt stock the pistol is very nose heavy. I would only use it as a pistol if I was a very strong person. With the butt stock it is a light and fast short range shotgun. I also changed out the nipples for musket cap nipples and have much less trouble with ignition.
What load are you using to hunt pheasants?

60 grains 2f and 1 oz of #6 I only shoot very close birds flushed by close working dogs. More than 60 grains is wasted out the barrel. #5 or #4 shot could be used also and might give you a little more range. With that 11 " barrel you should keep shots inside 25 yards. The birds I shot were closer to 15 to 20 yards.

I've always wanted a Howdah but could never think a practical reason for getting one.

However, I could never think of too many practical reasons for any of my black powder guns except for the fact that they are extremely FUN.

I'm thinking of getting a Howdah but can't make up my mind on whether to get a 20 X 20, a .58 X .58, a .50 X .50 or a 20 X .50.

Does anyone have any experience with the Pedersoli Howdah? If so, what do you think?

I should probably save my money or get something else; ...right?

Nope!!!!

Okay, I do not have one, yet.

My wife thinks they possess sex appeal for some reason, she likes the look of them and I agree.

The original use was for close encounters, I do not see much use for one for hunting here with round balls, especially over 25 yards or so.

Okay to answer your question, I would ditch the .58, to much recoil. The 20x20, now we are talking about a squirrel pistol or consideration to the 20X.50. The choice there is a dilemma, having trouble focusing on the 20X.50.

Okay, how to carry one? What comes to my mind would be a sling around the grip and barrels, similar to a rifle sling. I believe there are some slings that just might work.

Where I hunt there is a lot of yaupon in the woods and carrying a long barrel rifle is out of the question. Most trees do not exceed 75', well within the pistol's use for shot. Okay, also seems perfect for rabbit hunting.

It is on my want list and will be filled at some point.

To quote a former boss, "The one with the most toys wins".
I have the pedersoli howdah in 20 20. With that smooth bore you can shoot a solid round ball or shotgun pellets. That gives me the most options. If you haven't held one in your hands do that before you buy. The howdah pistols are very nose heavy and unless you are very strong they will be uncomfortable to hold or shoot. I added the shoulder stock to mine to make it a very light and fast handling shotgun. Without the butt stock I would not have kept it. I have hunted pheasant with mine and it works fine as long as you keep your shots at a very close distance. With the butt stock it is light and easy to carry in the woods and being so short is no trouble to maneuver through thick brush.

Enfield,

This one is a 14 bore, but handles very nicely. Converted from flint, and not a Howdah pistol, just a normal traveling pistol.
View attachment 5045

That is a beautiful, well-proportioned gun.
Too bad the Italians can never seem to find something like THAT to copy.

The owners and managers of the Italian BP companies do not seem to have much of an appreciation for finer examples of classic gun design. They are widget managers, not shooters.

Dave,

I know what you mean, not That far off, but if you look at the repro from all angles and look at the originals, you will still see where they miss it.
You show some very nice originals there! :)

RafteRob,

But if the pistol could be used to put food on the table.....it Could counteract the expenditure! :)

Frustrating how often the Italians “ miss it “ when it would have been easier to copy exactly an existing gun.
They can’t seem to resist putting their own stylized “ twist “ on things.

Back