• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Someone Talk Me Out of a Howdah

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I got out the casting pot and bullet mold yesterday. Here are about 780 round balls for the Howdah:

View attachment 6885

Here is the size comparison next to a quarter and a .451 round ball.

View attachment 6886

I won't be able to shoot the pistol with the round ball loads for another week. I'm thinking I will probably use 50 grains of FFFG.

In addition, I am waiting on a couple of Hot-Shot nipples from TOTW.

Thanks for watching and stay tuned.

Some people don't have any balls but it seems you have plenty.

Some people don't have any balls but it seems you have plenty.
And I cast some more today.

I don’t like running short of ammunition. I got a lot of scrap lead that needs recycled. Sending out of a barrel at high speed is a good way to recycle it.

When I bring it to the range, everyone will want to try it. So I better bring enough ammunition.

Reyna,

We cannot generalise what size rifles were used in a Howdah, it all depended on the sportsman's preference.
Many earlier guns were single-barreled, but later doubles were popular for common sense reasons. Double rifles of 12 bore were Very popular, as were the later express rifles in .577" and so on. No man in his right mind would take a double that had one barrel designed for shot, for use from a howdah where the tiger was the main focus.
As for pistols, most "Howdah" pistols never saw a howdah, and were not meant for such work.
If you have only seen over and under pistols designed for howdah use, you may have seen more than me, but I know for a fact that some carried a brace of single barrels, even small ones in their pockets, and some through habit took along their traveling pistols with belt hooks.
(12 and 10 bore, but down to the 14 and maybe 16 bores)
In breechloaders, the side -by side far exceeds the over and under in pistols designed for India etc. (but not made specifically for use from the howdah.)
All the best,
Richard.

I for sure want to add a Howdah to go with my 2 Pedersoli Kodiaks 1 is a 58 cal Express and the other is a 72 cal Safari Express. Will have to go with the 58 wish they made a 72 Id try to get that 1 too.

The Diablo is a 6" 12 bore. Don't know of anyone that has taken delivery or one yet...but I'm pretty sure that they are coming soon.

I think it might show under a tux, 8 bore.

:)
On the other hand, he could probably attract some attention if he tucked it in the front of his pants.

quote-is-that-a-gun-in-your-pocket-or-are-you-just-happy-to-see-me-mae-west-39-4-0484.jpg

I got a set of Hot-Shot nipples that I just installed.

Also got 1000 over powder wads, 1000 cushion wads and 1000 over shot wads.

I think I’ll soak the cushion wads in vegetable oil.

I’m thinking about 55 grains of FFFG for 1 oz of shot.

I’m also thinking of the same charge for round ball load.

Any other thoughts?

I'm thinking about getting a shoulder stock for the Howdah pistol. Does anyone have one? If so, what do you think?

WP0960.JPG

wm_6945499.jpg

In all honesty when this thread started, I wanted a Howdah pistol, not any more.

Putting a stock on one to me makes no sense at all. For me, it would be a waste of money.

I would rather have a 20 Ga. Pedersoli shotgun. It would have more use and be more functional all around.

In the end, I will be saving my money by reading and learning.

Just my thoughts and money.

Putting a stock on one to me makes no sense at all. For me, it would be a waste of money.

I was on the fence about getting one. However, I'm starting to consider it because it is different. That's the reason I purchased the pistol in the first place was because it is different.

From a practical standpoint none of my black powder guns make any sense. In the modern world a modern firearm makes more sense to own than a black powder gun.

Perhaps most of us got into shooting black powder guns was because they are different.

BTW, I would also like to have a Pedersoli 20 gauge shotgun but can only get one thing at a time.

I bought my Howdah for what it is a double barrel 20ga hand cannon. Mostly to shoot skeet in a novelty match. I surely would not spend $200 for a shoulder stock . I have a 20 ga sxs shoulder gun for that.

Back