• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Someone Talk Me Out of a Howdah

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think the 20 ga. Version, loaded light w/28 ga. Powder & shot charges could actually "make meat".
It would be bound to be a better weapon than the borrowed T/C Contender pistol I got a few very patient grouse with one year when they were plentiful.
Dave

After seeing what Hickock 45 did to a watermelon, I can only imagine what he would have looked like if that howitzer went off.

Wow...pointing a capped and loaded pistol at your own face, that was my favorite part. Recoil didn't look like 100 grains. The changing hands thing was real weird advice.

I think the 20 ga. Version, loaded light w/28 ga. Powder & shot charges could actually "make meat".
It would be bound to be a better weapon than the borrowed T/C Contender pistol I got a few very patient grouse with one year when they were plentiful.
Dave
Oh yeah, could be a great grouse gun. A bit heavy for holster carry, so I'd prefer a single barrel. Were you shooting ball at them nice little birds? My Remington Navy works well on grouse, does not damage much meat. I have some shot loads I made for my .50" Plains Pistol, seem to pattern "okay" at close range, but have never made meat with them.

I got out the casting pot and bullet mold yesterday. Here are about 780 round balls for the Howdah:

Howdah Balls (1).jpg

Here is the size comparison next to a quarter and a .451 round ball.

Howdah Balls (2).jpg

I won't be able to shoot the pistol with the round ball loads for another week. I'm thinking I will probably use 50 grains of FFFG.

In addition, I am waiting on a couple of Hot-Shot nipples from TOTW.

Thanks for watching and stay tuned.

I got out the casting pot and bullet mold yesterday. Here are about 780 round balls for the Howdah:

View attachment 6885

Here is the size comparison next to a quarter and a .451 round ball.

View attachment 6886

I won't be able to shoot the pistol with the round ball loads for another week. I'm thinking I will probably use 50 grains of FFFG.

In addition, I am waiting on a couple of Hot-Shot nipples from TOTW.

Thanks for watching and stay tuned.
Awesome, can't wait :)

B.

First prize goes to the person who can tell us what this idiot did wrong.

I follow my reenacting days. Put my powder in a rolled up news paper secured with a glue stick. Never carry loose powder.Put a wad in front of the ball. I noticed some powder whoosh out when he put the 1st wad in. Actually, modern BP guns are supposed to be proofed to a triple load. So a triple would be at least 120 grs? In CW reenacting we had the "foot artillery". One group would load 100 grains in their 58s-- boom! I found a 40 grain sufficient for my musket.

My 20X20 Howdah will be here tomorrow. It will be for skeet shooting. And yes it can be done with 1 OZ shot.

My 20X20 Howdah will be here tomorrow. It will be for skeet shooting. And yes it can be done with 1 OZ shot.
I got a hand thrower and a box of clay pigeons. My friends and I have plans to litter the countryside with broken clay pigeons:D

Enfield,
I've not seen a repro that looks close to the real ones.
A nice one would be a double in say 14 gauge.
Mind, a lot of flint pistols for Howdah work were singles, and looked for all the world like duelling pistols but in 14 or maybe 16 gauge. Some May have been as small as 20, but others were 12 -10 bore.

I think a cross-bred with different calibres/bores would be overly complicated to use when sitting in a howdah.

If I was making one, it'd be 14 -10 bore I think. Ball size is important with big cats, over penetration.
The original idea, was that the pistol could use the same size ball as the long gun, and for this howdah work, a 12 or 10 gauge ball was popular in the earlier period.

All the howdahs I've seen are under over. Originals 19th century. Side by side calling it a howdah is a misnomer by modern gun manufacturers. Trying to make a sale. It was common for side by sides to be rifle one side shottie the other. A side by side .50 rifled barel is just that. Howdahs were 58/62 cal rifles. Not that this isn't a VERY COOL GUN!
I would go with the Middle Sex 20x 20 first. $300 cheaper than pedersoli. Guns from India and Pakistan are no.1 high quality, and more correct. After all India is where the Howdah Evolved. Seems like the Middlesex would be great for CW Calvary reenactors coupled with a colt revolver or two and a saber!

All the howdahs I've seen are under over. Originals 19th century. Side by side calling it a howdah is a misnomer by modern gun manufacturers. Trying to make a sale. It was common for side by sides to be rifle one side shottie the other. A side by side .50 rifled barel is just that. Howdahs were 58/62 cal rifles. Not that this isn't a VERY COOL GUN!
I would go with the Middle Sex 20x 20 first. $300 cheaper than pedersoli. Guns from India and Pakistan are no.1 high quality, and more correct. After all India is where the Howdah Evolved. Seems like the Middlesex would be great for CW Calvary reenactors coupled with a colt revolver or two and a saber!

I staying with my Pedersoli

Back