• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Some questions

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I'm working on a 1770-ish Pennsylvania flintlock. Here are some questions to which I have not yet found answers (but need them!)

1. For stock cast off, where should it begin? I think I remember reading that it begins at the front end of the comb ...
2. Would it be historically correct to solder the foresight in place? i.e. a simple blade sight inset into a shallow groove in the (swamped) barrel.
3. What kind of rear sight would be correct for a rifle of this type?
4. Were barrels blued at that time?

Thanks all

Re blueing I would'nt be so confidant on that. Rust blueing is just extended browning and some where heat blued by then .And I think a lot more where left bright than is generally thought today Its a bold man that asserts "That never happened " No offence Johnny ime just being cautionary.
Regards Rudyard .

1) I usually start castoff around where the lock panel meets the wrist. 2) All the front sights I have ever seen on original rifles have been dovetailed. 3) A flat sight up to 3/4 of an inch wide with a centered V-notch would be original; I use a square notch. 4) barrels at that time were often left bright or heat blued by being packed in powdered charcoal and heated to around 600-800 degrees. Rust bluing and browning started around 1790; however I have read that a rust blue is very similar in appearance to the heat/ charcoal blue, so that is what I do on my older style rifles.

Blueing is much older than one would think. Heat blueing was well known in the middle ages. Chemical browning is much later. More of the early guns were blues or left in the white than browned. Most became brown as they aged, so we see them as being always browned.

happened " No offence Johnny ime just being cautionary.
Regards Rudyard .
I was wrong, bluing is way older than I thought. It seems the Japanese have been doing to for longer than the US has been around. I was lead to think bluing started in the 1860s or a tad later.

Latest posts

Back